Chapter 32 - Meeting

Author's Note: So, since I've been getting quite a few "please update this" requests, I'mma just try and remember to say when I'll be updating next, so you know. We follow a pretty strict releasing schedule, and waiting is easier when you know when you're waiting for, right? :)

Next update: June 29th (I hope) (Edit: July 13th)

~ Amina Gila

Anakin can't help but notice Vader's agitation as he prepares to leave for his meeting with Padme. "I'll be fine," he says again, for what feels like the hundredth time. In actuality, he doesn't think he's said it more than a small handful of times, but when Vader's on edge, he's on edge, and he very, very badly just wants this meeting to go well. He wants to hope that everything will work out. He doesn't want to think badly of Padme.

And yet.

He hates that there even has to be an 'and yet', but there is. And yet, given her attitude of the past, and the way she's spoken about Vader, Anakin can't trust her or her intentions fully until he can assess the situation better, something which won't be easy. Probably, it'll take a long time, and he – he's not good with these mind games. He's not a politician. The idea that Padme, of all people, might be trying to deceive him makes him sick.

It was bad enough to confront Palpatine's true self, but Padme? She's always been so good, and she still is; she's just misguided. He doesn't know how to get through to her, if she's not being genuine, without possibly losing himself in the process.

Force, this is a mess.

He tries, desperately, to regrip his optimism and hope of earlier. Vader's fears and doubts are affecting him, he knows, but it's hard not to get stuck in a loop with him.

"I know," Vader says, though his doubts still remain in the back of Anakin's mind. He can feel them, the lingering cloud of unease. "It is –" He cuts off whatever he was about to say, starting over again. "Promise me, Anakin, that if – if she tries anything, if anyone tries anything, you will defend yourself no matter what."

He can feel how important it is to Vader that he agrees, though he doesn't fully understand why. "I promise," he answers firmly.

As he leaves the office, for the meeting spot outside in the Senate gardens, Anakin can't help but think about how little trust Vader has for Padme anymore. And perhaps, given what Vader revealed about his past, it's unsurprising. He'd told Anakin that there was a chance she'd betrayed him, though he didn't know if she did or not. Well, it isn't surprising he harbors no trust for her, after all of that.

Padme is dressed in a fancy Senate gown when Anakin arrives, three clones shadowing him, ready to protect him from anyone should he need it – it's more of a formality than anything else, but he still appreciates it immensely.

For a long, few moments, he and Padme stare at each other, taking each other in. Maybe it hasn't been that long, but it feels like everything has changed since they were last together, truly, just the two of them, before Vader. But then, Anakin supposes that he is a different person now. He feels... better. Less alone.

Padme's deep-green dress sparkles in some places as the sunlight catches it, and finally, she approaches him, stopping right in front of him. "Anakin," she greets, giving him a small smile. It doesn't quite reach her eyes, though, no matter how much Anakin can feel in the Force that she's glad to see him. "I'm glad you came."

He holds out an arm to her, letting her loop her arm through his as they walk further into the gardens. It's beautiful here, but nothing can compare to the Room of One Thousand Fountains at the Temple. There was a very real peace and Light there which Anakin has never found anywhere else on the planet. Strangely, or not, he misses the place. He misses being able to freely walk the halls of the Temple. Even if he never felt like he belonged there, the Temple was still the only place he had as a home for years.