Chapter 30 - Blow-up

Author's Note: Obi-Wan is eh... not being very understanding. So basically, he's just being him. But don't worry. It'll get better from here... eventually. ;)

Also, many thanks to AngelFantasy on ao3 for giving me ideas for this chapter! :D

~ Amina Gila

"Might I have a word?"

Ahsoka can't help but stiffen at the familiar Coruscanti accent, and the underlying note of ice in it. "Of course, Master Obi-Wan," she agrees, taking a few steps away from Omega and the clones so they can have a modicum of privacy. She knew this was coming. She knew it from the moment she said, of course. I would be honored... Father, to Vader. That doesn't mean she has to look forward to it.

He gets right to the point, of course. "What are you thinking?" he demands in a hushed, yet heated, tone. His anger is strong enough that she can feel it even though his shields. "Consorting with Sith is hardly appropriate conduct. I know you've been spending time at the Senate. With him? With Anakin? You should know better than to trust either of them, especially know. A few nice words and pretty things, and you're ready to jump to their side? You know better than that, Ahsoka. I'm disappointed with you."

Her hackles rise at the words, because yes, she can understand why he's so upset – she was, too, until she knew the truth about Vader – but... it's – it's so condescending and she hates it. Anakin was never like that to her. Ever. When he scolded her, he was always gentle about it, no matter how firm and unwavering.

"You're jumping to conclusions without even asking me anything," she hisses back, almost glaring. How dare he? How dare he? "It's like you don't even know me at all. If that is what it means to be a Jedi, then I don't want to be one."

Obi-Wan looks stung for a moment, but his blue-gray eyes harden further. "Clearly," he answers, voice clipped, "You are not in your right mind. It would be best for you to constrain yourself to the Temple and focus on your studies."

"Anakin is my master," she snarls, livid, voice rising a little more than she means it to, "And I am not abandoning him when he needs my help! The galaxy needs me. People need me. That's what it means to be a Jedi! Helping people!"

"You are still a Padawan," he returns coolly, "A child." As if she somehow forgot that. "You are too young to make those decisions for yourself. That is why Jedi have masters, who train them until they are ready to take on the burden of making choices that affect real lives. Ahsoka, you are making a mistake."

She crosses her arms. "Then it's my mistake to make."

Nothing Obi-Wan says will make her change her stance on this. He's not even trying to understand. Everything she says to him will somehow be "wrong," and he won't listen. Besides, Vader's secret isn't hers to share. She isn't going to leave Vader and Anakin when they need her. Omega needs her, too. They're her family, and she will not stand for anyone – even Obi-Wan – telling her that caring for them is somehow wrong.

"You are stubborn." Obi-Wan does not say it like a compliment – more like it's an awful thing, and he's frustrated with her merely for existing or something.

"Maybe you shouldn't have chosen me as your padawan," Ahsoka shoots back. "Anakin told me that I'd never make it as your padawan, and he was right. I don't know what I was thinking. I should have talked to him instead of jumping to conclusions – just like you're doing now," she adds pointedly.

"Is there a problem?"

Ahsoka feels vindictive about the fact that Obi-Wan startles at Anakin's voice. She did too, but that's beside the point. The Jedi Master turns to him, expression just as cool as it was a moment ago, if not more so. "No," he replies, "I'm just having a word with my padawan."