Chapter 28 - Justice

Author's Note: The plot is continuing to crawl along. :) Also, Omega is becoming far more important than I thought she would. She's just so adorable. xD

~ Amina Gila

Ahsoka wakes up to the warmth of Anakin's body at her side. Slowly, she opens her eyes, shifting her head to take in her position. At some point during the night, she'd rolled over, half on top of him. His right arm is pinned underneath her, while his left is thrown loosely over Vader's waist. Omega is on Vader's other side, curled against him, still sleeping.

It seems like she's the only one awake right now, so she settles down, resting her head on Anakin's shoulder, and sinking back into the comfort and warmth of her surroundings. She can't remember the last time she felt so protected, so loved. It's so... mind-blowing, knowing that Vader is actually Anakin, and she can't help but wonder how she didn't see it earlier. Would she have noticed, if she had given him the benefit of the doubt? Or would his mask and armor have fooled her the way it's fooled everyone else?

Probably the latter, no matter how much she wants to say that she would have known him. She doesn't know that she would have, especially since he has been hiding himself from the world. He doesn't even consider himself Anakin anymore, and that sends a pang through her. He should. He's not even close to what a Sith should be. He's Dark, true, but he's not evil, no matter what crimes he's committed in the past. He's doing better, being better, and that means something, no matter that he doesn't seem to want to accept it.

She'll have to take some time to get used to the strangeness of all of this, to find a way to settle into a life where Anakin and Vader both play a prominent role again. She wants to spend time with them, as much time as she can, no matter how Obi-Wan and the rest of the Jedi will feel about it. She can't forget what Vader said, confessing that his condition is because of Obi-Wan. It horrifies her, but she'll try not to dwell on it. This Obi-Wan has done nothing. Yet.

Thankfully, it isn't long before the others awake as well, though none of them seem to be in a hurry to move. "What's the plan for today?" Anakin asks finally. "It is far later than normal."

Vader tilts his head, a sparkle of mischief glinting in his blue eyes. Mischief with an underlying, darker emotion – perhaps smug satisfaction. It's almost unnerving. "Housecleaning," he says simply. "It is time to deal with the Senate."

Ahsoka frowns. "What does that mean?"

"There are many Senators who are corrupt," Anakin answers, "And we mean to make an example of them. You and Omega are welcome to come."

Omega brightens. "Can I bring Fox?" she queries shyly.

A look passes between Anakin and Vader. "Of course," Vader replies. "I am certain that he would enjoy the chance to see the Senate face justice."

Ahsoka smirks, despite herself. "I wholeheartedly approve of whatever murderous tactics you're planning. And yes, I'm definitely coming." Anakin has never hesitated to make clear to her how much he dislikes politicians, except for a select few, and seeing the sheer extent of corruption within the Republic – she saw more of it when she was working with Padme only days ago – Ahsoka has to admit that she won't be too sad, or sad at all really, to see some of Palpatine's supporters face consequences for their choices. For supporting him, for hurting their own people.

Even though she knows what's coming, she still can't quite stop the thrills of excitement racing down her spine as she, Omega, and Fox – apparently, he and Omega are becoming close – stand in a viewing balcony overlooking the Senate. A couple Council members are here too, invited personally by Vader. The security is heightened as well, a telltale sign that Vader is preparing for a possible, violent backlash.