Chapter 26 - Scheming

Author's Note: Enjooooy the rising action. ;) And yes, there's still a lot of bonding, because half the plot is about how Vader heals. ^-^

~ Amina Gila

The Council chambers are quiet as the holorecording plays in the center of the room. Even when it ends, the silence remains. Obi-Wan doesn't ask how they got the footage; he doesn't even want to know, but he's grateful, because seeing this sparring match between Anakin and Vader shows... a lot. No matter that it raises more questions than it answers.

"His lightsaber is white," he finally notes aloud, frowning. "I thought that was impossible, that it should have been impossible if he has been lost to the Dark Side."

"Don't let your emotions cloud your judgment, Obi-Wan," Windu chides instantly, as Obi-Wan had expected him to. "We cannot assume that, just because Skywalker has somehow purified his kyber crystal – or had it done – that he is any less of a threat to the Order."

"I know that he can be dangerous," Obi-Wan returns coolly, feeling the familiar flicker of anger and resentment that always surfaces when they have to talk about or deal with anything pertaining to Anakin and Vader. Even now, so many weeks later, he cannot fully accept that Anakin betrayed (him) the Jedi for a Sith... even if said Sith is apparently his father.

"It's clear that Vader is just as skilled as Anakin in lightsaber combat, even more so, actually," Mundi points out, getting the conversation onto something more productive. "I think it's time that we consider what we will actually do about the Sith who is controlling the entire galaxy. We are Jedi. We cannot let this stand indefinitely."

"And now, we have something by which we can learn more about Vader's fighting style," Rancisis agrees, maybe a little too enthusiastically in Obi-Wan's opinion.

"Not indefinitely, perhaps," Plo concedes after a momentary silence, "But we must also consider what it is that Vader is doing, accomplishing. This is the first time in years that the galaxy has been so peaceful. The people support him. All over, the people are standing up in support of his reign. They are relieved to see an end to the war. If we act, we risk alienating them further."

And that, Obi-Wan knows is one of their biggest problems. For all that they must destroy the Sith and the danger they pose to the galaxy, if they are not careful, the public they are sworn to protect will turn on them, even with the Sith gone. If the public is calling for their destruction or worse, executions, what will that mean for the power that rises to assume Vader's place?

Nothing good.

Unless they plan to take control themselves, but how would that make them any better than Vader, killing the leader and taking control?

"I agree," he states, siding with Plo, and around the chambers, others are nodding in agreement as well. "But there are also many Jedi who are eager for us to act. They don't want us to sit by idly. There are... whispers among some radical Jedi that the Council is unwilling to do what must be done."

"I have heard it as well," Windu states, nodding. "It concerns me. I fear we might face another schism if we don't move with caution."

"Dark times these are," Yoda intervenes, speaking for the first time. "A danger Vader poses, but among the Jedi, a danger there is too. If splits the Order does, lose strength we will."

"Is there a way for us to use this to our advantage?" Mundi questions. "Could we possibly control the split?"

"You think it's inevitable," Shaak Ti notes.

"Don't you?" he returns. No one argues with that.

"Even if, theoretically, we were able to control the coming schism," Windu begins, "What, precisely, could we do with it?"