Chapter 19 - Revealed

Unsurprisingly, everything has been extremely hectic since the Empire formed, and Vader still marvels at his – no, at Sidious' ability to manage all of the necessary paperwork. His temper is running short, far shorter than usual, at having to deal with all of the disgustingly fake politicians. He hates politics, hates it with a passion, and he would be so incredibly pleased if the entire Senate building and most of those in it were to come to an... unfortunate fate.

But he can't start his rule by slaughtering almost every Senator, and politician, on Coruscant, though it would satisfy him, and besides, they are somewhat useful. Annoying, though useful. They handle much of burden of ruling, and Vader knows that he's incapable of handling all of the smaller details on his own. How is he supposed to know all the little details about some obscure resource on some backwater world, much less how it could be best utilized to benefit everyone involved?

That – that is why he hates politics. He's good at managing things of a military nature, and he knows that he probably could be a good politician – ew – if he dedicated himself to it, but he doesn't have the time or patience to understand all the details about every single occurrence within the galaxy. Maybe that makes him a bad Emperor, but it's been a little over a week, and nothing has fallen apart yet, and nor has he had to murder someone over their sheer stupidity, so he thinks that's a good start.

It's been a week since his proclamation about the clones, and a week since the Jedi capitulated, just as he knew they would. With everything – temporarily – stabilized, he and Anakin have plans to make a trip to Kamino to come to an agreement with the Kaminoans. Producing more clones is completely unnecessary, since Vader has no intention of having a slave army at his beck and call, and also, he needs to do more for them. After all they have suffered, the least he can do for them is giving them their lives back.

And what better way to do that than by having the Kaminoans find a way to stop the clones' rapid aging?

He knows that they're capable; it's only a question of whether or not they're willing, and... well, Vader is good at aggressive negotiations. They will do as he tells them, because he is the Emperor. He has power, and he is not afraid to use it, though he knows he must use it wisely.

"What is the progress of the de-chipping?" Vader asks, hands clasped behind his back as he stands on the bridge of the Star Destroyer that was once his, Anakin at his side.

"It is on schedule, my Lord," Kix reports – he's the medic in charge of the entire operation. "It should be fully complete within a month. It would have been sooner if most had not opted to undergo the surgical removal."

That is something that Vader can fully understand. It's not unlike how freed slaves want their chips removed, not out of fear that they'll be reactivated as much as it is a feeling that they'll never truly be free until the last traces of the servitude have been swept away. It's a feeling with which he is altogether too familiar.

"Very good," he replies, inclining his helmet.

"We're going to the medbay," Anakin announces, the blue and white swirls of hyperspace illuminating the determination and defiance in his eyes in an almost... otherworldly way.

"... we are?" His surprise is visible, even through his vocoder.

"Yes," Anakin confirms blithely, and then, lowering his voice, "Kix knows the truth."

Vader glances from the younger to the clone medic, who gives him a nod. "General Skywalker spoke with me about... you," he offers, quietly. "He wished for me to... look at you, to ascertain your condition."

Vader feels his heart lurch unpleasantly because he doesn't want this. He doesn't want to face it or think about it or deal with it. But... Anakin has a right to this, he knows. He would never agree to this on his own because this – his... condition is his destiny, but he could never begrudge Anakin his fear for him. They are both like that. They both cling on too tightly, holding on until the other person either leaves or betrays them. Everyone in his life did it to him, and sometimes, he's found himself wondering darkly if Anakin will do likewise.