Chapter 31 - Tipping Point

Author's Note: We're still crawling towards the climax! ;)

~ Amina Gila

"Report," Anakin requests, rubbing his face and trying to dispel his tiredness – Vader can sense it acutely through the Force. He and Vader have been up all night since the gala, giving out orders and reading through the reports. It was a publicity stunt alright, and it was wildly successful, far more than Vader had fathomed when he first came up with the idea. But now, they need to get a good read on the situation and figure out what their next actions should be.

Crosshair and Tech are the only members of Clone Force 99 who are present. The others submitted written reports, but Anakin thought that they should speak to the sniper in person, since his enhanced eyesight has given him the ability to see things that others might not. And Tech is here to add any additional insight.

"I watched Kenobi," Crosshair answers, helmet held loosely in one hand. "He is... conflicted, I think. He hates the Emperor –" Vader doesn't react to those words only because he expected them; that doesn't mean it doesn't sting anyway, "– And..." The sniper falters for a moment, contemplative. "I believe he is jealous."

"Jealous?" Anakin splutters. "Why – why would he be...?"

"It is quite probable that he is experiencing such emotions," Tech interjects. "This is a time of great turmoil for the galaxy, and the Jedi, in particular, given that a Sith is in control, and you are well aware that the Jedi view them as enemies. It is true that the Jedi are instructed to let go of their emotions, so they do not cloud their judgment, but from what I witnessed, and from the reports that I have seen, I am uncertain if the Jedi, at least those who were present, are actually following that particular directive. Crosshair witnessed many of them displaying various emotions throughout the entire time, many of which were negative in nature."

Vader tilts his helmet towards Anakin, and they silently exchange looks. In truth, he had expected as much.

"I believe the Jedi are planning something," Crosshair says into the silence, "And soon. What do you want us to do?"

It's such a simple question, but it means – it means everything. Vader, in his past, fought with Crosshair and the rest of his squad briefly, and though he doesn't know them well, it means so much to him that they are so willing to stand by and listen to his orders, trusting him to lead them. Clone Force 99 has always been rogue, and for them to submit to his leadership is... it means a lot to him, more than they probably even realize.

"Stay on alert," Vader answers, "And protect Omega."

The sniper smirks slightly. "Already on it," he drawls. "Wrecker has not left her side since the gala, and Hunter is staying close."

"Technically," Tech interrupts, "Hunter is watching over Wrecker and Fives and hoping that they don't blow anything up. Echo is not helping."

"Good." It's Anakin, this time, who speaks, though he's visibly amused by the words – Vader would like to know how Echo and Fives ended up becoming so instantly close with the Bad Batch, but... some things are just meant to be, he supposes. "I don't think the Jedi would fall low enough to attack Ahsoka or Omega, but we cannot take any chances."

"I am planning an announcement for tomorrow," Vader tells them, "Once the initial chaos surrounding this has dissipated a little. If the Jedi are making plans, I will pressure them. I will push them to see if they reach a breaking point even sooner. In their desperation, they will be rash."

Anakin sighs. "It's a good plan... if it didn't mean you would end up at risk." Vader just looks at him, and he rolls his eyes. "I'll contact Rex, Cody, and Fox now. Tell them to up security."