'~Prologue~'

The sun shone through the old French windows, spilling its golden opulent rays onto the beautiful woman that scrubbed away at her dishes piled up in the sink.

"Mom, when will you come play with me?"

Her 6 year old son whined, hugging her legs as she giggles, bending down and booping his nose leaving a tuft of bubbly foam on it. He laughs hysterically, shaking his head and rubbing away the bubbles.

"Soon, my dear. I have work to do."

The woman's calming voice chimed through the silent air, as she stared out the window, admiring the sound of birds chirping and swaying trees gracefully flowing with the breeze.

With a pout, the boy sits on his little kitchen chair, watching his mother with a tilted head. He loved her with all his heart, and he could stare at her forever without breaking away his gaze.

After all the dishes were washed, the tall woman sighed, pushing her amber hair into a bun as the little boy jumps down in excitement, grabbing her hands in his.

"Can you play with me now?"
He chimes, and the woman stares down at him, a saddened look falling upon her face.
She kneels down, pushing strands of his chocolate hair away from his face.

"Jungkook-ah. As you know, your father hasn't returned. That leaves me with all the housework to do. Dad would usually do the dishes and laundry, but now that he isn't here, I have to do it. As much as I would love to play-"
"Momma! Why are your hands so rough?!'
The little boy screeches, as he runs his tiny fingers over her rough palms.

"That's because I work."
She says, with a little laugh, putting her hands behind her. She knew trying to explain these things to a 6 year old was silly, and left it to be spoken another day.

"I want to become a soldier like Dad, and fight against the bad guys."
The little boy said with a gritty voice, pulling out some karate moves and gestures of shooting.

Her face paled, as she let out a shaky breath, changing the subject immediately.

"I'm sorry you don't have any siblings to play with you either, I would've been glad to give you one, Dad went too soon. I guess I'll have to wait till he's back."
The women says with a sigh, placing a kiss on Jungkook's frowning forehead.

"Why do you have to wait for Dad to come back? You can give me a brother now."
The slender woman laughs as she stands up, her thin hands gripping onto the table counter to help pull herself up.
"You'll find out in time. Some things are best left unsaid."

She ruffles his hair before walking up the stairs, doing the rest of her housework, leaving Jungkook to sit outside on the porch alone, staring into the wilderness.

Their house was an old one, situated on the outskirts of Busan, for they couldn't afford the expensive houses in the city. The view of barren yellow grasslands could be seen as far as the eye could see, with a few trees and scattered houses in sight.

The day passed with his mother taking on tasks in every room in the house, and she was a heaving mass of sweat by the end of the day. Her frail body seemed to be growing thinner and thinner by the day.

There wasn't much Jungkook could do to help her, for she wouldn't allow him to exert himself in any way. He was unfortunately diagnosed with a wheezing condition, that would be aggravated if he inhaled a lot of dust, or put himself in stressful situations.

She plopped down onto the worn-out sofa with a sigh, soon falling asleep till late in the night. Jungkook didn't want to sleep alone, so he put a cushion beside her and cuddled close to her, her arm involuntarily wrapping around his tiny figure.

_____________________________

Jungkook woke up the next morning, finding the spot beside him empty. He pushes himself up, rubbing his back that was mercilessly dug into by the cruel springs that jutted out beneath the beige leather.

He lets out a whine, rubbing his eyes as he takes slow steps to the dining room. His sleep hadn't completely left him, and he bumped into a few objects here and there.

The sound of muffled, strangled sobs reach his ears and he gasps, rushing to the kitchen to see his mother sitting on the dining room chair, with her head bent over on the table, covered by her hands.

Her shoulders shook with every sob, and Jungkook lets out a cry.
"Momma, what's wrong?"
She startles, her head snapping to him. Her bloodshot eyes scared him, and she gestures to him to sit on the chair beside her.

She purses her lips together in an attempt to prevent further cries in front of her son. She had to stay strong for him.

The boy's eyes travelled to an empty envelope, and a folded paper beside it. He reaches out to take it, but it was immediately snatched away by his mother. She puts in her pocket, and her long fingers clasp Jungkook's shoulders.

With a sniffle, she speaks to him in a wavering voice.
"J-jungkookie.. I have something to t-tell you."
"What is it?"
He asks, just as afraid as her.

"Your f-father.. he.. h-he won't be coming back."
She says, her voice cracking as more tears stream down her face.
"Why not?! Does he not love us anymore?"
The boy yells, as tears brim in his eyes as well, his chest now heaving.

"Jungkook.. he's d-dead."
The woman says, as she covers her mouth, a wail hitting the palm of her hand. Jungkook's chest begins heaving as his breathing labours, his tears now uncontrollably rolling down his face.

She pulls him into his embrace, holding him tight as he cries into her chest, high wails and agonising screams leaving his tiny figure. She rocks her broken son, strangled sobs leaving her as well.

She was shattered, as her mind went back to the words inscribed onto the letter.

Addressed to: Mrs. Jeon Jihyo

It is with regret to inform you, that Jeon Sunho is now missing, presumed dead. We pray for the welfare and health of your family, and provide our deepest condolences to you and your child.

A/N: Another new storyyy! Haha, I'm torturing myself even more now T-T

Love,
✨Mama Kim ✨