The Illusionary Path of Happiness

They were all sitting on the log. Izuku is in the middle of the other two young boys. Todoroki had just told them about the events that had occurred that resulted in boiled water poured over his face. While already hearing and knowing the story, it was still fresh to Izuku. It raised fury in him everytime he heard about what one of his close friends had to go through so early on.

"I'm not mad at my mom. It's my father. I'm going to be a hero and only use my ice to spite him." Shouto announced confidently.

All Izuku saw was a kid trying to deny a part of himself. He wasn't going to spite his father. All Todoroki was going to do was become more closed off to everybody. Even himself.

"Hell yeah! I would be mad at him too. I am mad at him. I've never liked that Endeavor guy anyway."

"Bakugou, we should team up and conspire against my father. Will you join us Midoriya-kun?" He almost forgot how funny Todoroki could be, and how serious he is while being comical. It was refreshing in a weird sort of way.

"Maybe someday. One thing I don't get is why you're denying a part of yourself. That won't do any good for you, trust me. I mean- It is your power, right? No one else's." He hears Shouto's breath hitch at Izuku's ever-so famous words. He optimizes that saying this now will have the same effect it did when they were older.

Todoroki remains blank-faced, while something clicks for Bakugou, "The damn nerd is right. You should be giving it your hundred percent if you're going to be a hero. If you weren't it would be like spitting in everybody's faces and telling them you're better than them. It won't get you really far."

"Todoroki," Izuku says sternly. It must've shocked Shouto because he looks up at him, his eyes clearing slowly, "If you don't use your full power, you will die. Holding yourself back won't only be a liability for everyone else, but for you as well."

It was mean, especially for how young Shouto was now, but it was also necessary. Maybe if he started training both sides now, Shouto will be more ready for what's to come. Was it fucked up to condition kids that have barely tasted life for a possible all-out war?

It was.

(Wasn't it the same, though? They had to go to war at sixteen to seventeen years old. They had to endure trauma after trauma with little training. And... that didn't go so well. So isn't it better to secretly start training them? Even if it's just a tiny bit?

Although Izuku will fight tooth and nail to make sure they don't have to fight. Class 1-A doesn't need to witness the same things twice.

He hoped they won't have to fight, but that won't mean they will.)

"You're smart. Do you have some intelligence quirk?" Todoroki is listening to him, even if he doesn't explicitly say it. That's all Izuku can ask for. The power of listening can move cities of people, but most importantly, it can help change Todorki's mindset.

Katsuki laughs. Actually laughs. It startles the birds from the trees and the previously croaking frogs quiet. Izuku joins in as well. Mostly because Katsuki has always had that effect on him, not because of the question.

"No, it's not. Thank you, though. I take it you'll think about what I said?" Shouto nods, albeit a little reluctantly. "Good. That's all I can ask for."

"Listen to the nerd. He may be a clutz, but he has a big brain. If he gives you advice, then take it." Todoroki doesn't give any response towards Bakugou, and the blonde almost looks offended at that.

"Are you sure you don't have some intelligence quirk?" Even at eight years old, Shouto is still blunt and theoretical. It makes Izuku chuckle.

"I'm sure. Trust me, I was diagnosed quirkless a few years ago." For the first time, Midoriya feels slightly guilty about lying about having no quirk. Todoroki told him about his struggles with two quirks, and Katsuki would've been the first person to know (Kacchan never asked about if he ever gained a quirk during the arena, so Izuku never told him. Not like he would've anyway.)