Chapter Forty Two

Nylah's eyes wandered and scanned the destroyed planet in front of her, her legs dangling off the roof of the highest building. The warm air brushed through her hair, but luckily she was too far up for the sand to embed itself into her wounds and harshly hit her exposed skin. She watched calmly as everyone got themselves into position, their much smaller bodies running on the ground before disappearing into their hiding spaces. She could see Peter looking down at the ground from the platform that he was laying on – he was only a few levels lower than herself and Mantis.

The simple sight of Peter set warmth and love filling inside of her heart; and she could not help but wonder if this was the way Thor felt whenever he saw Jane.

"You hold romantic feelings for him." Mantis spoke in her usual monotone voice, though Nylah still found her calm monotone voice incredibly calming. She enjoyed spending time with Mantis.

A blush creeped onto her cheeks as she turned her head to look at Mantis, who sat comfortably beside the Asgardian goddess. The only two women in this group were planned to come out last – because they played a larger role in holding down Thanos long enough to get the glove. It was evident that no amount of fighting would tire Thanos, or weaken him, as they all individually had experience with that. So, Quill decided that a combination of Mantis and Nylah's powers would be the best bet into keeping Thanos still and weak long enough to rip the gauntlet from his big purple hand.

Mantis and her abilities were far more unique than Nylah thought; and it seemed as though she had a lot of potential for her powers to grow. Mantis had the ability to put anyone into a slumber, or to wake them up from it – as that is what she had done with Thor. Mantis would have to get closer enough to Thanos and his giant head to put him into some sort of trance to keep control of his mind; but to do that, someone needed to keep him weak, while the others held him down. That was where Nylah came in. Her powers would keep him weak long enough for them to be successful.

But, despite the role Nylah and Mantis will play in winning this battle, the bug woman was correct. Nylah did hold romantic feelings for the spider-boy below them, and she was slowly beginning to realise that she was only falling deeper for the boy with each passing second. Although, she was unsure if she could ever verbally express this to him.

"Yes. I do." Nylah nodded her head before she returned her attention back to Peter. "He is my favourite human from Midgard."

A disappointed sigh left Mantis' lips. "Quill is the only human I know."

"That is unfortunate." Nylah furrowed her eyebrows; though she did like Quill, it was a shame that Mantis had not known any other humans. "He is somewhat intelligent, though, I must admit."

Mantis nodded her head as she clasped her hands in her lap. "I agree. Sometimes."

A comfortable silence fell over them as her gaze fell back onto Peter. Thanos was to arrive at the planet at any given moment, and the thought alone made her anxious to her stomach. Her stomach twisted and turned in knots as the thought of facing the man that murdered her brother, terrified that she and anyone else she cared about would face the same fate as Loki. She did not expect for the purple man to walk through this planet with even a hint of remorse; she figured that he was incapable of empathy as soon as he began to kill all her people without hesitation. She was not entirely sure if the man was capable of emotion altogether. He was too cruel.

But looking at Peter waiting patiently on the platform, it made her feel content. It washed all her anxiety away and she felt safe. She always felt safe with him. She wanted nothing more than to go back in time to when her only mission was to protect Peter from doing anything stupid – when life was simple. Her only worry was the strange feeling she would get in her heart anytime she saw Peter, and at least back then, she could see her brother. Life felt easy when she was with Peter and missed that feeling. She could imagine living out the rest of her life with Peter, or at the least the rest of his life, feeling nothing but love and peace. Yet, this feeling, it only made her fearful that she would never have the chance to express how she felt. She never got to tell Loki how much she loved him before he died.