Chapter Eleven

"She's just a kid, Tony." Nylah sat on the couch in the headquarters, watching as Pepper paced back and forth with her phone to her ear. Nylah had the gown that she wore when she first arrived to Midgard in her hands, dressed in a simple grey sweater and leggings instead. Pepper had been trying to convince Tony to let Nylah go home all night, which soon progressed into the next day. Nylah hadn't gone to school that day and all she could think about was her need to apologise to Peter and Ned. She liked being their friends – she liked making friends who liked her for who she was, not for her royalty. Besides, they were both kind and charming Midgardians. "I get that. But you can't keep an eye on a fifteen-year-old kid 24/7. You have to let him learn what to do and what not to do on his own rather than having someone from another freaking planet looking after him!"

Nylah frowned as Pepper's frustration grew. Nylah could easily call for Heimdall and she would home within minutes, seconds even. She did not have to sit around and wait for Tony Stark's permission just so she could return home – to her own planet.

"Um, Ms. Potts?" A young and thin intern knocked on the door, almost looking as if he was trembling in his shoes. Pepper let out a sigh of frustration before she pressed a button on the mobile device, ending the call with Tony. She looked at the young intern with her eyebrows raised and a polite smile on her lips, tilting her head ever so slightly to the side as she waited for the intern to continue. Nylah wondered why Happy was not the one to consult Pepper, and why this young man was here instead. "Someone is here to see Nylah, a teenager... shall I tell him to leave?"

Nylah's eyes widened as she looked over at Pepper, rapidly shaking her head. Pepper nodded at her before she turned to the intern, lightly shaking her head. "No. Please, let him in."

The intern, surprised, turned around with his large device in his hand and exited the room. Nylah felt butterflies in her stomach at the thought of the teenager turning out to be Peter. She hoped that he was here to allow Nylah to explain herself in better detail and hope that he would forgive her. However, she was surprised when the elevator doors opened, the familiar chocolate brown-eyed Spider-Man was not stepping out of it. Instead, it was his best friend.

"I'll be in my office if you need me." Pepper said with a small smile as she walked out of her room, her heels clicking against the tiled floor until it eventually faded into another room.

"Ned?" Nylah said in disbelief. With her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion, her hands dropped her gown on the couch and she stood up. Her sadness-filled blue eyes watched Ned as he walked silently until he was finally standing about a foot away from Nylah before his lips broke into a smile. "What are you doing here?"

"Peter told me why he never came back to the party and why you left." Ned began, the smile on his lips slowly fading as his gaze fell to the floor. This is exactly what Nylah did not want. To see Ned, or anyone else she cared about, to get hurt because of her decisions. She should have never accepted Tony's mission. "I forgive you."

"Pardon?" Nylah blurted out as she looked at Ned wide-eyed. "I have not even apologised yet?"

"Maybe not but I can see on your face how sorry you are." Ned shrugged his shoulders as a small smile appeared on his lips again. "I forgive you, as long as you do me a small favour that Peter probably won't like."

Nylah sighed as she tucked her lip between her teeth nervously. "What is it?"

"We have this decathlon thing tomorrow – we go to Washington D.C. and we compete there... except, Peter is only going because he tracked that vulture guy." Ned explained as Nylah looked at him in horror. "I talked to Mr. Harrington about letting you come for support, I used a certain excuse about me so you could come... surprisingly, Mr. Harrington gave in."