Chapter Nine

Ana and I push through the thick, wooden doors into the library. A massive room with shelves lining every inch, each filled with dozens upon dozens of books.

Mama Snow sits in one of the plush arm chairs, reading a novel with a wordless, soft red cover.
She looks up as we approach.

"Hey girls," She says with a sweet smile.

We sit in two chairs directly across from her. She sets her book on the table between us, understanding this wasn't just a lighthearted conversation.

"We know who you were talking about," I say briskly.

Her eyes hold a tad of surprise, but a strange amount of understanding.

"Of course, you're power," She replies, slightly chastising herself for not remembering.

"How do you know him?" Ana asks.

"I-I've come across him different times in my life," Her face grows sullen. "I doubt he can help you. I mean he could but..."

"But what?" I ask.

"Magic is a tricky business. And the kind he deals with..... Comes with a price."

"What kind of a price?" Ana asks.

Suddenly the door to the library opens and Charming walks in.

"Oh sorry, I just thought we could walk to the market together," He says with a smile.

"Of course we can, we were just finishing here," Snow answers rising out of her seat. "All I can say is try to decipher what that poem means," she says lowering her voice. She joins Dad and they walk out.

"You got the note?" Ana asks, turning toward me. I nod and pull it out of my jacket, placing it on the table, in between us.

We sit in silence for several minutes, both concentrating.

"This is useless," I say. "I've done this before. We can't figure this out."

Ana gives me an annoyed glance, "You don't know that. Besides I think I figured it out for the most part. Whoever sent you this wants you to find them."

"Noooo really?" I mutter sarcastically.

"Oh shut up," she says, leaning back in her chair. "If you don't want me to help I won't."

"Sorry, I just-I just really need to figure all this out," I lay my head on the table. "I think our only way is Rumpelstiltskin. If he's as powerful as Mom and Dad think then surely he can give some sort of help."

"But what about mom said?" Ana says, her voice growing intense. "She seemed terrified, and I know you heard she was."

Silence once again cracks into the atmosphere, a messy product of thought. After a few minutes I sit back up.

"You're right," I say turning to her. "We don't know anything about him. Hell we don't even know where to find him-"

"Ah I'm right here Dearie," A voice calls from behind us. Surprise electrocutes my body. Both Ana and I whip around to face the speaker.

It's a man with a mixed leather jacket and matching pants. His face is a strange, green complexion and holds wild,mysterious eyes.

We rise from our seats and walk over to him. As I expected I can't read his mind.

"Ahh Anastasia and Arabella, daughters of the great Snow White and Prince Charming," He says, adding a tone of mockery to the last part. "It seems you are in need of my assistance. Rumpelstiltskin, at your service," He gives a slight bow.

"How did you know we needed you?" Ana asks, her face tinted with suspicion.

"I hear my name, I come. When I feel like it that is," He answers. "So, to track a Sorcerer is what you require?"

We nod.

"Wonderful, I can do that. The note please?"

I retrieve it from the table and hand it to him.

He stares intently at it, and a white dust pulses off it. Then it returns to normal, and he speaks. "I can tell you where this wizard is."

"Awesome, where?" I ask.

"Now now, I don't just do favors. I need something in return."

Ana and I exchange skeptical glances.

"Okay," I answer. "What do you need?"

He gives a mischievous smile, "A strand of your hair, Arabella. Nothing more."

"Sure thing," Ana responds. "Go ahead give it to him," she says looking at me.

"No way," I retort. "You are not getting anything from me."

"What? Arabella you were the one who said we needed answers-"

"I don't care," I say raising my voice. "I don't trust anyone magical with anything from me. That's that."

Rumpel's face gains a expression of understanding. "Smart girl. How about this, since you two are new comers, I'll give you the location for free."

Ana and I smile at him, feeling as though we'd won some sort of victory.

"New York City," He says. "I presume you know where that is."

Suddenly a white cloud surrounds him, and he disappears almost as quickly as he arrived.