Chapter Twenty-three

The most beautiful thing about my mother, is the hope that has always sparkled in her eyes.

When we found her and dad, there was hope in her eyes.
When she talked about Peter with me, there it was again, flashing on the outskirts of her iris.
Even when we were on the brink of execution, it was there like a star in a cloudy sky.

But, the moment I revealed the truth, her eyes fell dark.

"Do-do you know where they went?" Her voice was weak. I never learned exactly what happened between her, Dad, and Rumpelstiltskin, but it was obviously not a pleasant or kindly encounter.

The crowd around us was frozen in panic, the mere mention of his name was enough to strike fear into their hearts.

"We need to head into the Room," My father spoke quickly, "It isn't safe out here."

The room to which he was referring was where the round table was kept, the place where he and Snow met with their confidents when some sort of town planning was needed. Up until now that is exclusively what had been discussed, town planning such as where to build the new fountain or how much food was needed, but everyone knew the table had previously been, and could still be, used for military strategy. Obviously, the topic that would now be on the table, quite literally.

"Everyone please remain calm! We are going to figure this out!" Snow spoke loudly to the crowd, her voice stable and hopeful, a complete disconnect from her eyes.

The members of the round table go into the castle. It's a decent sized group, consisting of the entire royal family-including Peter and Hook- the seven dwarves, a group of old friends of my father, and the head fairy-the Blue Fairy.

We arrive at the Room, and the Blue Fairy waves her wand, opening the secret door on the hallway wall.

The room is hidden for good reason, and has an extra protection spell that permits absolutely no one unwanted to enter, regardless of their success in entering the realm itself.

Once everyone is seated at the large, wooden table, my father begins to speak.

"I know this is a time of great celebration, as one of our own has returned from seemingly beyond the grave," Peter gives a smile, "But such joy has been shattered, by the same man-no, beast that has shadowed Snow and I for decades. For those of you who haven't heard he has taken two of the princesses captive, and it is of highest importance that we get them back safely. Arabella, Peter, tell us everything you know."

I give Peter a look, he nods, agreeing that I should tell it. I clear my throat, and allow the terrifying image of my sisters being carried away by a mad man to encroach my thoughts, then I pour them out for the world to know.

I tell them about us landing in New York, and the letter-including background information about the series of letters I'd received- then I tell them about the store and my sisters leaving me to go to the hotel, then Regina and Rumpel taking my sisters, and his plan for them.

"So it all goes back to Regina, why am I not surprised," My mother's eyes are still glowing with anger.

"Sadly, but it's my father who's our greatest threat. I can take Regina but-"

"You can't take Rumpel? Even if your magic isn't contained?" Sylvia seems shocked, although all of us seem to be. From the stories I've told, and the legacy that was created for Peter, all of us believe him to be the most powerful of all the realms.

His face is solemn, "Maybe. And that's a light maybe. However, the princesses can take him. They are far more powerful than me"

"We are?" Me and Sylv say in unison.

"But we can't do the things you can, we aren't able to do spells, we only have our specific powers," I respond.

"I can teach you. Well, I can teach you all you need to know for now, since time is the most important factor here."

"We can do what you do?" I ask him. The idea of me and my sisters doing the same things as him, and Rumpel, and Regina felt completely ridiculous. Sure, my ability to mind read was extraordinary, but this would make me feel like someone in a Harry Potter book.

"Yes. Anyone with magic in them can. You just need training. Your current powers are your innate abilities. Believe me, there's so much more."

"Even if my daughters can learn to use their powers, Sylvia still can't go, and like you said we are in a tremendous rush. Another second my daughters are in the hands of that beast is another second they could die," my father's face cuts into a deeper state of focus.

"I-" Peter begins to answer, but he is cut off by my mother.

"And why should we trust you?" She asks, her voice cold, another strange contrast to her usual self.

"Excuse me?" I retort bitterly.

"I'm glad to have you back, and I'm more than joyous you saved us from Regina. But you were working with Regina, were you not?" Her stare on him intensifies.

"Yes," he answers plainly.

"Then how are we to think you won't help her again? This could all be a part of her plan. You could simply be acting as if you are loyal to us and to Arabella-"

"That's enough Mother," my voice is tense and filled with ferocity. How could she doubt me? Then again I suppose her caution is justified. Hell, my sisters were right to question him back in Neverland. But that was then, this is now. I know his secrets, I know his history. I know him, and I know he loves me.

"It's alright," Peter says, calming me. Then, he turns to my mother, "You have every right to doubt me. Genuinely, I wouldn't trust a guy with my past either. But things have changed since I first agreed to work with Regina. My change began when I saw Floristian destroyed. I saw the fear, the confusion. Something that made me think of myself as a child. Then, I agreed to work with her again, simply because I owed her a debt. She gave me the task of retrieving the princesses, and I did so. But then, emotions began to change me. I fell in love with Arabella, something I didn't think could ever happen to a guy like me. Something I used to see as a weakness. I tried to call off the deal with Regina, the deal being that I would return the princesses after gaining their trust and understanding their powers, but she attacked anyways. I escaped her, and planned to retrieve you all, which I did. You don't have to trust me, actually you can remove my magic if you wish. But I am loyal to you all, and I always will be."

My mothers eyes stare intensely at him, but are softer than when he began. My father's eyes match hers, and the gaze is held throughout the room, the levels of intensity varying from person to person.

"Trust him," Hook's voice cuts through the silence. "Back in Neverland, we were the worst of enemies. But it was always stupid fights, he and his boys stealing our food or messing with our ship. Despite one crocodile incident, he never showed himself to be heinous. Plus the lost boys have lived among us for several years now. Each one of them can account for Peter saving them from a terrible time in their life."

Like a wave in the ocean, thought trickled through the minds of all those seated at the table, as everyone was taking a moment to think about this testimony. The effects of it were good, and all the doubt seemed to vanish from the eyes of those seated. Except my parents, who still seemed a little hesitant. Yet, my father still speaks, "Alright. Let's make a plan."