Chapter 3

„We are ready to take off. Please, fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride. Thank you!“

The pilot's announcement sounded over the loud voices of the passengers tucked into the preoccupied economy class plane cabin where Lisa found herself sitting in. The air was already thick and hot, almost suffocating. She wondered how was she going to survive the whole ‚twenty-seven hours and forty-three minutes' long flight (as the pilot announced earlier) as she reached over to the side and quickly pulled the leather strap over her body, locking it securely to the hard plane seat.

Ignoring her already desperate need for fresh air, she turned her head to the side and focused her eyes on the clear cloudless sky peeking through the small window she was currently seated next to. Lisa proceeded with her usual flight ritual, which consisted of just a quick prayer for the safety and well-being of everyone who boarded the plane.

Even though her job included a big portion of traveling abroad, most commonly by aircraft, Lisa was never able to get herself over her fear of planes. There was just something about the giant metal bird-looking human creation that didn't inspire much trust in her, leaving her with a slight hint of anxiety before every departure and a breath of relief after landing.

Given that fact, she couldn't believe she still somehow got herself talked into flying all the way to the other side of the world without having a professional obligation to do so. It's been another two days since her unsuccessful attempt to buy herself a ticket, and even after she was ready to give up the perfectly sounding vacation to Brazil, here she was, anxiously squeezing the armrests as she felt the plane slowly move under her feet.

Rosé sounded disappointed after she first found out about her friend's purchase failure, but her smile quickly took its place back on her face when she came up with the idea for Lisa to just take the next flight on the line, which happened to be in just two days. With a little more persuasion from her side, Lisa quickly packed her bags.

After going through the standard protocol for safety and making sure all passengers knew what exactly to do in case of an emergency, the stewardesses took their places also and buckled up. The pilots took a position for departure and finally sped on the runway. Lisa could feel her body getting more and more pressed against the hard seat the faster the plane ran. She squeezed her eyes for a few quick seconds, opening them just to be greeted by the familiar sight of the fluffy white clouds underneath her.

She stared outside for a few long minutes, trying to calm her fastened heartbeat. After she felt everything going back to normal, she pulled out her laptop and a pair of earphones and decided to finally do her promised research about the place.

She went through the list of the best tourist places and restaurants for local and traditional cuisine in the city and nearby, bookmarking everything that caught her eye with the intention to visit and explore it later. She proceeded to read basic information about the city, the country, and its nature, just in case.

She was able to pass a few hours of the many left occupied in reading, but once she felt she already knew enough, she found herself staring at the seat in front of her with no idea how could she fill the remaining time. Her thoughts suddenly drifted back to Rosé and a longing to hear her voice filled her body. Lisa quickly pulled out her phone and speed-dialed her number.

„Hey!“ she heard from the speaker after three rings.

„Hey, Rosie“