Epilogue

It was dark.

Darker than the depths of the black jungle night.

Darker than the starry midnight sky engraved into her brain.

Darker than the traces of black soot that the fire painted mother nature with.

It was quiet.

It was calm.

It was peaceful.

Until it wasn't.

A strange noise caught her ears amid the deafening silence. What was it? She wondered.

The sounds of her blood rushing through her veins, fighting against the gravity, pumping and pushing, tearing and invading every single piece of her body.

The sounds of her heart hammering against her ribcage, begging and pleading to be let go, squeezing and squishing in its desperate attempts to keep her alive.

Fear and adrenaline were all she knew, all she felt. She could feel? She surely did. Her finger twitched, once, twice, before falling back down on the cold surface. The images replayed over and over again. It made her dizzy. It scared her.

Blood.

So much blood. So much death. So much loss.

The noises got louder as she traveled closer to a state of consciousness. Too loud, too unbearable. She twitched again. She was almost sure a squirm escaped her lips, a cry for help, but no one was there to hear. Especially with those noises.

What were they?

It only got louder. She felt more. She wanted to open her eyes, to move, to scream, to run away from the nightmare happening in her head. She fought harder, stronger, to come back to life. Her brain corresponded well. It was awake.

An engine.

She could recognize that noise anywhere. Where was she? She fought harder to escape those demons. Her mind screamed in horror and burden. She wanted out. Far away from there.

One last push.

She felt her body fly up from her place with unbelievable force. A sudden excruciating pain invaded her head, squished her brain and pulled out those thoughts. A warm hand immediately cupped the hurt spot. It was her own hand. She was almost sure. Just as she was sure she just hit something hard. A groan of pain escaped her throat.

She tried to open her heavy eyelids but everything was painted with darkness. Pitch black. Empty of anything except those noises.

Then she heard it. That voice. Could it be?

"Lisa! Hey, are you okay?!"

Fingers ran down her spine. Chills prickled over her skin. This time she was sure it wasn't her hand. She sighed. Another one. Soft and warm. This time cupping her jaw and turning her to the side where everything was just as black and empty.

Until it wasn't.

The sight of Jennie's worried face suddenly came in sight. It was so close that she could almost feel the breath on her lips. She stared at those cat eyes full of care, those parted pink lips that slightly trembled, those fingers that traced soothing patterns over the skin on her heated cheek. It was all real.

She finally found her voice.

"W-what happened?"

Jennie shook her head. "I don't know. Are you okay?"

Lisa took in her surroundings. She was squished between rows of colorful seats, human bodies, and a revolting smell of stale breath. A quiet chattering of voices accompanied the noises that left Lisa so confused. The small window on her side showed the beauty of the night sky and the puffy bundles of white clouds they were currently passing through. She turned back to the woman. Her eyes incidentally landed on her lap where she noticed the source of all the darkness in her conscious state.