Chapter 18

The next morning came faster than expected and they were back on track by late dawn, still as hungry and tired as always. The small dinner they had the night before wasn't entirely able to put off any of their growing hunger. Having to settle with the strong stomach ache that didn't plan on stopping any time soon, they trudged between the greenery restlessly.

To get her mind away from the pain and their unsuccessful attempts of finding safety for so long, Jennie kept on blabbering about anything that came into her mind, varying from how she got a stuffed teddy bear as a Christmas gift from her six-year-old cousin, to the inappropriate rumors going around the offices of her job about one of her female colleagues.

Except for the bellyache, Lisa could also feel her headache slowly growing as equally strong the more Jennie talked about stuff she didn't really care about. However, seeing that the talking helped the brunette in some weird way - strangely lifting her mood - Lisa didn't say anything to stop her and instead imagined she was rather listening to an entertaining podcast on a walk in the park. Though there wasn't anything entertaining about it, neither she had the freedom to walk in a park.

"Do you like pineapple on pizza? I don't think we have ever talked about that before" Jennie asked.

"Maybe there was a reason for it" Lisa mumbled, annoyed.

"What?"

"Nothing. I said that I'm not really a fan"

"Why?"

"What do you mean why? They just don't go together. Who even likes it?" Lisa wondered as she jumped on the other side of a big downed tree.

"I like it!" the brunette exclaimed as she landed both her feet on the soil with a soft thud.

Lisa lifted a curious brow at her. "Since when? I thought you hated it too"

"Well, you know Jiyoung, right?"

"The weird guy from the café that has always had his flirtatious eyes on you?"

"Yeah, him. And he's not weird, neither he has his eyes on me. He's just... really friendly, I guess"

Lisa rolled her eyes. "Yeah, of course"

Jennie groaned. "Whatever! I was about to say that we went out on a friendly date-"

"Friendly date" Lisa mocked under her breath.

"-a few weeks ago and went to a great pizza place. We ended up with a Hawaiian pizza on the table. I know I thought I hated it before but I had never tried it until then. After that day, I loved it"

Lisa fell silent for a few seconds. "Milk ice cream, pineapple pizza... good that you are at least pretty" she mumbled again. "So, is he like... your boyfriend or something now?" she hesitantly asked.

Jennie's eyes widened. "Oh God, no! We are just friends, not even that close to hang out with each other. We just had pizza once and that was all about it"

"You sure?"

"Of course I am. Why? Are you jealous?"

Lisa laughed humorlessly. "Um, no! I just don't want you going around telling me you love me and fucking me every chance you get while dating other people at the same time. I definitely am not going to be the one you are cheating on someone with, nor will I let you cheat on me with someone else. Let's get that straight"

"I swear to God I don't have anyone else in my life, or heart, or mind. You'll always be the only one for me and I'm not lying when I say I love you"

"We'll see about that" Lisa said as she kneeled to tie the loose laces of her shoes.

Jennie moved in front of her, crossing her arms and stomping her small foot on the ground. "Lisa, I'm being completely serious right-" Jennie's voice caught in her throat when her eyes accidentally landed on something in the far distance.