42. Keep It on the Low

Elle's P.O.V

"Are you scared?" Rosie asks beside me, staring down at the small, metal squares in front of us. "I'm scared," she admits.

I nod, meeting her gaze. "What if none of our hard work paid off?"

Rosie lets a breath out slowly through pursed lips. "It has to have. Of course it has!"

She smiles at me, laughing, "We're just nervous. It's been two weeks, we'll at least have lost some water weight by now."

Rosie glances towards the couch where Beth is sitting with an amused smile on her face. "Right, Beth?"

Beth nods, chuckling. She stands up to walk toward us.

Rosie and I placed the scales from both of our bathrooms in the kitchen for our first weigh-in so we could do it together. We've been eating in a calorie deficit and exercising at least two hours a day – except Sundays - for the past two weeks. Our bodies are sorer than we ever thought they'd be and our stomachs have only just learned to stop growling constantly but we made it.

Two weeks of hard work and these two hunks of metal get to tell us if it was worthwhile.

"Okay," Rosie breathes, reaching for my hand. "Ready?"

I smile, squeezing her hand briefly before we let go, each stepping on our own scale. I stare down at the screen, anxiously awaiting the result while Rosie fixes her gaze on the ceiling, too afraid to look.

274.4

"Oh! Oh my gosh!" I squeal, taking a page out of Rosie's book. "I lost 10 pounds!"

Rosie gasps excitedly, "Ten?"

She looks down at her own number and shrieks, bouncing off the scale. "Oh! Ah! Me too! Ten pounds!"

We leap towards each other, spinning around the kitchen in a bouncing hug. Beth laughs, beaming at us.

"I'm so proud of you girls!" She grins, wrapping an arm across each of us once we stop bouncing. "Let's go out to SMOOTH to celebrate."

"Ooh, yes!" Rosie and I nod in unison. We've come to love that smoothie bar as much as Beth does, if not more.

"Collin should be awake soon," Beth says, chuckling, "He might be already given the way you two were screaming."

I blush as Rosie laughs, waving her hand dismissively.

She turns to grin at me with an eyebrow crooked before she darts towards Collin's room.

I follow after her, giggling so hard it's difficult to catch my breath.

Rosie bangs on Collin's door with an impressive amount of force. "Collin! Get your butt out here! We're getting smoothie bowls!" She yells through the wood, knocking three more times before the door swings open just enough to reveal a squinty-eyed face.

"STOP. IT." Collin growls.

Rosie rolls her eyes, raising her hands in a gesture of surrender to show she won't knock anymore before she crosses her arms.

Collin's eyes flick to me before he turns to glare at Rosie again. "What time is it?"

Rosie shrugs, "I don't know, around 9."

Collin makes a face of disgust. "Why do we have to get smoothie bowls now? Can't it wait?"

"No!" Rosie matches Collin's glare. "We're celebrating. And you're coming with whether you like it or not!"

She pushes the door open enough to grab Collin's wrist and starts dragging him out of his room. Collin yelps and smacks her hand away with a few hard jabs, hurrying to cover his boxers with his hands, clearly embarrassed.