45. Competition & Mixed Feelings

Rosie's P.O.V

Once everyone's had a chance to digest Adrian's delicious breakfast, Collin suggests we all head to the beach so Theo can properly meet the boys while he's here. They were all at the party, but Theo spent most of the night by my side. He's barely been here a day and already my cousin is treating him like a brother.

Everyone agrees, sending a variety of excited emojis in the group chat we formed a few days ago. Dax hardly ever sends emojis, but I let myself imagine his 'ok' is an excited one.

Elle and I run upstairs to grab our one piece swimsuits and two pairs of shorts while Collin and Theo head to their respective rooms to change into swimming trunks. A few minutes later, we all climb into Collin's Jeep after Elle yells "Shotgun!" She winks at me as Theo climbs in the back. I laugh quietly, sticking my tongue out at her.

Theo slides his hand over mine once we're buckled, making me blush as Collin starts to drive. Butterflies whir in my stomach as a few stray curls blow in the wind, escaped from the tight bun I twisted them in earlier.

I catch Elle grinning in the rearview mirror and feel a blush rising in my cheeks. It only gets worse when Theo takes his shirt off.

"Are you okay?" Theo squints at me, a nervous smile forming on his lips.

"Huh?" I look around, realizing we're parked and I'm the last one in the vehicle.

"Oh," I chuckle in embarrassment. "I guess I got distracted."

Collin crooks an eyebrow, about to make a joke but thankfully Elle decides to loop her arm through his and run toward the water. "Come on, Collin!" She shouts, stumbling awkwardly through the sand, "We have a score to settle!"

Collin chases after her eagerly, his competitive side proving to be an excellent distraction.

Theo and I laugh as we watch their antics unfold. Theo laces his fingers through mine, smiling shyly down at me as I blush. We start strolling slowly down towards the water front, enjoying the sound of the waves as they get louder.

I hear Elle shriek, whipping my head around just in time to see Collin laughing manically over her while she pops out of the water, a pout on her face.

She says something I can't hear, earning a wide grin from Collin as he holds his hand out, offering to help her up. Elle begrudgingly accepts, still frowning. Halfway up, she pulls a cliché move, yanking Collin's arm so suddenly he's caught off guard, landing beside her in the water. Elle shrieks again, hurrying to stand and run to dry land but Collin's too fast. Soon, she's back in the waves, both of them laughing hysterically.

Their laughter is contagious. Theo and I chuckle, noticing several others on the beach watching their little game with a mix of shaking heads and sweet smiles. They probably think they're a couple.

Ew. I think, That would be like my sister dating my brother. Gross.

I look up to see Theo still watching the pair with a mystified grin.

I smile, intrigued, "What?"

Theo turns to look at me, shaken out of his thoughts. "What? Oh, I was just realizing I've never seen Elle act like this before. Normally she's so quiet and reserved."

I turn to watch my best friend again, noticing how free she looks as her and Collin spot Noah and Dax coming up the beach. Elle turns to Collin with an excited little bounce, beaming from ear to ear as they turn this event into yet another competition, racing each other up the beach with a few attempts at tripping the other, swerving in ridiculous lines as Noah and Dax stare, looking wary but amused.