44. Surprise

(Picture of Theo up top :))

Elle's P.O.V

Planning a surprise party for Rosie in two weeks wasn't as easy as I first thought it would be, but Beth and I got it done. We chose a shrimp shack near the beach that's sophisticated enough while still providing an intimate atmosphere.

"This is perfect," I whisper to myself, biting my lip to contain my excitement while I survey the area.

Sunlight filters through large windows, an ample view of the ocean revealed through the glass. String lights with paper globes give the place a homey feel in the evening hours, pairing well with the fake indoor plants placed sporadically throughout the dining area.

Beth and I have reserved a few tables, sprucing them up with fancy white cloths and a few center pieces that complement the boho décor while still adding a little pink for Rosie. Six faux candles and a handful of confetti made from palm leaves later, we're ready for the guests to arrive.

A chorus of familiar hoots and playful shouting lets me know the boys are here.

"Elle! Hey, this place looks dope! You and Beth did a great job." Luke beams, surveying the space with exaggerated facial expressions as he wraps me in a one-armed hug.

Noah nods, smiling softly as Collin and Milo echo Luke's sentiments a bit less dramatically.

I blush, "Thanks, guys."

Beth finishes her phone call, walking over from the corner. She greets Collin with a hug, nodding to the boys once she pulls away, a huge grin on her face. "Rosie's parents will be here soon. I just got off the phone with them."

I beam, "Yay! I can't wait to see them! I know Rosie will be thrilled."

Beth nods, laughing lightly. I catch a secretive smile playing across her lips before she turns away from us to greet another guest who's just arrived. I wonder what that's about?

"Where's Dax?" I ask, noticing the brooding boy isn't lurking in the background.

Collin shrugs, "He said he'd be here. He's probably just running late."

I nod, smiling halfheartedly as I push away an unexplainable feeling of worry. "Yeah, probably."

The boys split into pairs, walking around to mingle and mess with the decorations.

"Stop it!" I swat Milo's hand away from a fake candle. "Don't touch anything."

Milo laughs, raising his hands in a show of surrender. "Yes ma'am."

I nod curtly, turning when the front door chimes to announce the arrival of another guest.

"Mr. and Mrs. Everly!" I shout, practically hurtling a table in my rush to reach the front of the restaurant.

Rosie's parents laugh, each taking a turn to hug me. Mrs. Everly tsks, "How many times do I have to tell you? Call me Eleanor! You're family."

Beth inhales dramatically over my shoulder, "Oh good! I'm not the only one who has that problem with her!" She winks playfully at me before wrapping her sister in a tight hug that lasts at least a full thirty seconds.

"It's been too long, sis." Eleanor clears her throat, trying not to cry as she pulls away.

I see the same moisture in Beth's eyes as she nods, agreeing. "Way too long."

A tall string bean with a mop of light-brown curls shining gold in the sun clears his throat, drawing my attention.

"Theo?!" I gasp, "Oh my gosh! What are you doing here?" I beam, knowing how psyched Rosie's gonna be. I rush toward him, stopping awkwardly when I realize I don't know if I should hug him or not. Theo matches my awkward excitement, arms twitching by his sides as he struggles to settle on an appropriate greeting as well.