15. Study Date

Elle's P.O.V

Spending the weekend at Rosie's house was amazing. I'm glad dad has a job right now because since he's at work most of the day, he didn't have a problem with me being gone for the weekend. I wish he could keep a job but I know that he'll lose it soon. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts though.

Mrs. Everly gives me a ride to school on Monday morning, smiling warmly when she drops me off. "Thank you!" I say, making sure to grab the art projects from the back seat. I run into the school and rush to Mrs. C's room to drop them off before heading to homeroom.

The school day is a normal blend of butterflies from seeing Peter and nausea from seeing Brandon. I see Blake Noir a few times throughout the day; each time he seems to be either looking at me or glaring at the back of Peter's head. I shake off the weird feeling I get anytime we make eye contact. I don't know what to think of him.

After school I walk outside to discover that it's another chilly April afternoon. I pull my sweatshirt sleeves down to cover my hands and start my walk home.

"Seriously? Again?!" I yell frustratedly when the first few cold drops of rain hit me moments later. I huff and quicken my pace. This is the second time in a week that I've had to walk in a cold downpour. A few blocks away from the school, I notice a black car slow to a stop beside me and I whip my head around to make sure I'm not about to get kidnapped. Blake Noir is sitting in the driver's seat. I freeze as he rolls the passenger side window down and yells, "Do you need a ride?"

I stare at him in silence for a while, a glare etched on my face, his engine idling the only sound cutting through the rain. When he doesn't leave I manage to spit out an angry "NO," before turning around and continuing my walk. Blake sighs, "Suit yourself." His black mustang drives away, leaving the street empty. I reach my house 20 minutes later and plop onto the couch, exhausted, after changing into dry clothes. I take advantage of dad being gone and journal in the living room, enjoying the sound of the rain pounding on the roof.

-------------------------------------------------

Rosie's P.O.V

'Oh my gosh. Theo is going to be here - at my house - in 10 minutes!' I think, scrambling to make sure my room is clean and there's nothing embarrassing out in the open, just in case Theo and I end up working on our project in here. 'Sorry,' I mentally apologize to my stuffed animals as I throw them in my closet and shut the door.

I jump as the doorbell rings, taking a quick look in the mirror before I rush down the stairs. "I'll get it!" I yell, practically running my mom over as I sprint. I take a second to catch my breath before opening the door.

Butterflies rise in my stomach. "Hi, Theo! Come on in!" I beam, opening the door widely.

Theo steps in, taking a look around. "Wow, you have a nice place."

"Thanks," I blush, shutting the door behind him. I see Theo's backpack and mentally smack my forehead.

"Oh!" I say, "I forgot to bring my books down! I'll be right back!" I smile over my shoulder and rush upstairs.

When I return with my science textbook in tow, Theo is talking to my mom, complimenting a sculpture that's on a shelf in our dining room. I smile as I hear mom say, "Oh, thank you! Rosie actually made that." Theo smiles, "Wow, really? I knew she was in an art class but I didn't know it was sculpting. She's really good." I blush and clear my throat, making sure to step down the last two steps with more sound so they wouldn't know that I had been standing there.

"Sorry about that," I smile at Theo and drop my stuff on the dining room table.

"No problem," Theo says. "Should we start trying to figure this out? Science isn't my favorite, but at least they're aren't any hieroglyphics," he winks, referencing my joke from earlier this year.