51. Ceroid Cacti

A/N: It's come to my attention that quite a few people didn't realize I posted two chapters last time so make sure you've read chapter 50 before you read this one or you'll be confused lol

Elle's P.O.V

There's a plant I've heard of that blooms once a year, and only at night. The full-moon gently coaxes the shell apart until the once shriveled flower blossoms fully, revealing dozens of little petals, layer upon layer of previously hidden character and dimension.

Dax reminds me of that flower.

When he feels comfortable enough to let a new part of himself shine through, it feels like a privilege. These rare moments feel fragile, like one wrong breath could scare him enough that he retreats back into himself, hardened to the world for another year.

I do all I can to protect the bubble of moonlight that seems to form around Dax and I whenever we're alone. I hold my breath, slow my movements, soften my footsteps – anything I can to make sure this vulnerable phase will last.

Dax has laughed in my presence before but not like this. Small chuckles within the friend group can't compare to the ginormous grin that's on his face now as the sun washes over him, water droplets glistening gold over his skin. I struggle to balance behind him on the surfboard, my focus torn between my desire to take in every ounce of happiness on Dax's face and my will to live. My survival instinct wins out in the end as I squeeze my eyes shut, tightening my grip on Dax's torso as I bury my face in the back of his shoulders.

Dax finds my terror amusing, his body shaking in my arms as his laughter increases. Thankfully though, he takes pity on me, paddling the surfboard we're standing on closer to shore so I can jump off and wobble my way to dry sand. I do so gratefully, gasping for breath.

"Did you see that?" I ask, face paling as I fight off a wave of nausea. "I swear there was a shark fin out there!"

Dax doubles over, still laughing as he sinks to the sand, crossing his arms over his knees. The golden sand sparkles like glitter atop his dark skin, scattering over his ankles when he shifts. He pauses before answering, trying to sound calm as his lips twitch. "Elle, we were barely twenty feet from the shore."

I glare at him, forming a snappy retort when I notice he's scanning my body, his eyes bright with amusement. I look down at myself as Dax buries his face in his arms, his body shaking as he fails to conceal a new wave of laughter. I practically dove in the dry sand in my state of panic and now it's sticking to my wet skin like dried clay. I'm sure I look just like the volcano I made in first grade with sand and a bottle of Elmer's glue.

I hold out my arms, examining my skin as I realize it is kind of funny.

I lay back in the sand as I laugh, knowing I'll have to take a thorough shower later anyway. Dax peeks over his arm when he hears me, seeming relieved he doesn't have to hide his amusement anymore as he lays beside me.

I turn to him once our laughs calm to chuckles. "Are you sure you want to teach me how to surf?" I turn my gaze to the sky above with a sigh. "That wasn't exactly a promising first lesson."

Dax grins, nodding at the sun. "I'm very sure."

I grumble, "That makes one of us."

Dax chuckles, nudging my arm with his. "You'll get better. Surfing can be daunting at first but once you get the hang of it-" he pauses, trying to think of the right words, "well, it's awesome. It's nice to have a place to escape. Even on calm days, you can be alone with the waves and watch the sun for hours. And when it's not calm, riding waves is a great way to get out of your head – it's a nice distraction."