17. You Like The Sims?

A/N ~ I named the restaurant before the whole COVID-19 epidemic, I swear. This chapter was published in 2019. 🙃

Rosie's P.O.V

"Uungh," I groan, burying my head deeper in my pillow as my phone keeps ringing.

I sigh in frustration before reluctantly deciding I should check to see who's calling me. I reach for my phone and squint angrily at the screen.

My eyes widen as I scramble to untangle myself from the covers and sit up.

"Hello?" I answer, trying to sound like I didn't just wake up.

"Hi, Rosie," a quiet voice greets me, sounding a bit nervous. "Um, I know we aren't supposed to work on the project again until Tuesday but I was wondering if you wanted to maybe work on it today too? You know, to make sure we have enough time?"

I do my best to sound nonchalant as I answer. "Oh! Sure, Theo. That's a great idea. Where did you want to work on it? My house?"

"Actually, do you want to get some food and work on it at Corona's?"

"Sure!" I smile, "I love Corona's!"

We agree to meet at the restaurant in an hour before hanging up. I run around my room trying to find the right clothes as I try not to feel too giddy about the fact that I'm going out to lunch with Theo, even if it is just to work on a science project.

----------------------------------------------

Butterflies wreak havoc in my stomach as I drive to Corona's. I'm giddy thinking about seeing Theo but I'm nervous because we're meeting in public and that makes me feel like it's a date. But it's not. ...is it? I wrestle between thinking Theo likes me and reminding myself that it's impossible for him to like someone like me - and by that I mean, a fat girl. I sigh, hating that my heart wants to flip and make me bite my lip and bounce in my seat as I try to contain my excitement only to be shut down by my thoughts of self hatred.

I pull into the parking lot and find a spot close to the front, taking a deep breath as I get out and walk towards the building.

My breath catches as I notice Theodore through the window. He's too engulfed in bouncing his knee up and down to see me so I take the opportunity to secretly - and not at all creepily - observe him for a few minutes before sighing and walking in with a bundle of nerves sitting in place of my stomach.

Theo's face lights up when he meets my gaze.

"Rosie! You made it!" He smiles widely and stands up to greet me.

I smile and nod, "Oh, yeah. Anything to do with homework and I'm there!" I joke.

Theo laughs and we sit down. I survey the numerous papers and writing utensils Theo has neatly organized on the table and wonder how long he's been here - is he nervous too? My mind whirls into daydream mode as I find myself wondering if this is a date again. It can't be...

Can it?

I force myself to lose that thought and focus on looking around the restaurant instead. I've always loved the decor here; whoever designed the interior really put a lot of effort into finding accents and furniture that fit with an Italian theme. The walls are painted with a deep, inviting red. Dim lighting adds intimacy to the atmosphere, making the restaurant a great place for a romantic outing.

Crap. I'm supposed to be distracting myself from the idea of romance, not encouraging those thoughts while I'm sitting across from my crush.

Theo startles me by clearing his throat and asking me a question about the science project that I have to ask him to repeat twice before my brain refocuses. We move past my embarrassment and start to work on the project before we're interrupted by the waitress.