7. Happy Birthday

(A/N: Picture at the top is of Brandon.)

Elle's P.O.V.

Homeroom goes by smoothly enough; Mr. Samson mentions my birthday but thankfully Brandon doesn't do much more than smirk and whisper with his friends, turning his evil gaze to me every few minutes. I bury my head in a book as usual.

After homeroom, I'm greeted by a bouquet of Gerber daisies that have been dyed blue, and a grin so big on Peter's face, I'm scared his cheeks will crack.

"Happy Birthday, Elle!" Peter blushes, handing me the flowers and shoving his hands in his pockets shyly.

I sniff the daisies, inhaling deeply before beaming.

"I love them! Thanks, Peter! You didn't have to, we've only been dating for like a month." I smile, biting my lip.

"I know," Peter says sincerely, "I wanted to."

We stand there for what feels like an hour, just holding each other's gaze and smiling before Rosie shrieks, making us jump.

"He got you flowers?!" She bounces, turning to look at Peter, "You got her flowers?!"

Peter opens his mouth, but doesn't get a chance to respond.

"That's too cute!" Rosie keeps bouncing.

I stare at her, a little shocked from her shrieking still.

Rosie continues bouncing as we all head to Ms. Smith's room.

"So, what are we doing after school today?" Rosie asks.

I sigh, "Rosie, I told you. All I want to do is get a burger with you guys."

Rosie huffs. "Yeah, I know. I just hoped you'd changed your mind."

I ignore her and we arrive at Ms. Smith's room. Rosie smiles, squeezing me in a quick, one-armed hug before shouting goodbye and rushing off to the math wing.

Peter gives me a quick hug of his own before going to sit at his assigned seat by the windows, far away from me. I reluctantly slide into my own desk - front row, closest to the door - wishing I could hide in the back like I normally do, or at least be closer to Peter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

English, History, and Math go by like normal and pretty soon it's time for lunch. I hurry to stash the gerber daisies Peter gave me in my locker before heading to the cafeteria. The lunch ladies sneak me an extra piece of strawberry shortcake - today's dessert - for my birthday. Rosie and Peter spend the lunch period suggesting things we could do, after eating at Five Guys, to celebrate but I turn each suggestion down, not wanting to be out in public longer than necessary, but also not wanting to explain that I don't have enough money to do anything they're suggesting and that I'm too afraid my dad will notice if I'm out late; I don't want to deal with the consequences of that.

After lunch, I find myself in Drawing I, staring at a blank piece of sketch paper, trying to think of something shallow that I like enough to say it partially defines me. Mrs. Carstello strolls up and down the rows a few times, finally stopping to talk with me when she sees I still haven't drawn a single line.

"Having some trouble?" She smiles, a spark of laughter in her eyes.

I blush, smiling impishly, "Yeah. I thought of drawing something from Doctor Who, but I don't know if that defines or affects me; I just really love the show."

Mrs. Castello laughs quietly, "David Tennant is pretty cute."

My eyes light up, "Matt Smith is my favorite."