Chapter 32

I'm on a roll.

Andre pov

I get a collect call. I already know who it is. I accept the charges. Tyrene is breaking my heart with her tears. She calls me and I say yes. I can't let her hear any emotion. After I say yes, the line goes dead. She hung up? Why would she do that? Abigail hasn't taken her clothes off. I've decided she's going to spend the weekend in jail. She has to learn. I take my shirt off and go downstairs. Abigail follows behind me. "Aren't we going to get her?" I take a deep breath. I let out a simple no. She looks amazed, astonished actually. I pour myself a shot. Ty stresses me out. Abigail keeps looking at me. I put the bottle on the top shelf and head up the steps. I'm not arguing with her.

I lay down in bed. Abigail still hasn't come up. I turn off the light and try to get some sleep. I know I won't. "Abigail, come here babe!" I shout out. I hear her coming up the steps slowly. She opens the door. "Come lay with me?" She scoffs at me. Ugh. "How could you sleep while your child is sitting in jail Andre?" I take a deep breath. "She's okay. Anthony made the call, she's in a cell by herself, she'll only interact with other female minors for meals. She's probably not gonna shower knowing her. There's somebody watching her. I'm not worried. She needs to learn a lesson." I stay calm the entire time. Abigail is not hearing me. "There's plenty of ways she could have 'learned her lesson' Jail was not it. You didn't even let me know that's what you were gonna do. You just did it!" I got upset. "Did you tell me you were teaching her how to drive? Huh? What else have you done behind my back?" She lost it. "Nothing! That's it! Yea we sneak off and go shopping! Okay big fuckin deal! I was trying to teach our child some responsibility, give her some freedoms! Something she feels she doesn't have!"

"Abigail do you see what happens when she has freedom? She stole your car..." She cut me off. "I trust her with it." I get even more upset. "That's not the fucking point. The point is she does whatever she wants with you because you want her to like you so bad. I don't care if she doesn't like me. I'll love her the same. She's not your friend Abigail, she's my daughter. I'm going to do what I think is best for her." Abigail looks at me. She turns her back to me and walks out the door. She slams it. Why do women slam doors all the time? Ugh. I debate on if I should chase her or not, maybe she just needs her space. I don't care. I said what I said. I roll over and try to get some sleep.

Tyrene pov

The cell is cold. I don't trust the blankets. I really wish I could float so I didn't have to lay here. My head hurts. My nose is stuffy, all from crying. Why did I take the car? I hate myself so much for doing it. Abigail must be pissed. Antrez is gonna kick my ass if and when I get outa here. How am I the niece of a cop and always dealing with the police? Anthony must be so embarrassed. Poor nana. I just can't imagine. I wonder if dad even told them. Probably, they are his best friends. And dad, I wonder what he's doing right now. Probably doesn't even care. Probably over me. I'd be over me too. He should have let me go to foster care. As much as I wanna say dad hates me, I know it's a lie. I'm probably the best thing in his life. Me and Abigail of course, but mostly me. I smile. Now that I think about it, I think I would rather be in jail tonight. I don't think my ass could take it. It's been a while. It's so cold here.

Hours pass without me sleeping a wink. The room is dark, I don't know day from night. I hope it's morning. I want to go home. Will dad pay my bail? Probably not. I start crying again. I hear a loud noise. My cell door slides open. I step out. I see like four other people step out too. They all go down the hall, so I go behind them. We end up at a cafeteria. Finally I'm starving. I line up behind the other girls. Some of them are talking, some of them are quiet. I'll be quiet. Ion know these people. The line moved pretty fast and I was able to get my plate. I sat down at a table with one other girl. She seemed quiet. The food looked a little iffy, but it wasn't all that bad. I ate it. The girl just looked at me most of the time. Weirdo. It's cool tho. She ate in silence. That's all I wanted.