Chapter 1

Tyrene Pov

"Tyrene get yo ass up. You got school." I groan but sit up. I did not wanna go today. I got to my bathroom to take my shower. When I get out I walk over to my closet and pull out my uniform. I hate this thing too. I get dressed anyway and go to the kitchen. She made me breakfast. "Thanks ma." Sh rolls her eyes. "Mmhmm eat quick we gotta go." I did. We walk out to the car and get in. The whole ride we sing songs and laugh. When we get to my school I'm reluctant to get out the car."Bye Ty. Have a nice day." I roll my eyes. "Bye love you." I get out the car. I hated high school sometimes. I walk into school like I do everyday. I go to the cafeteria where I see all my friends. Well all 2 of them. "Good morning Xavier and Grace." They spoke back. "Today feels like hell. The weekend in never long enough." Xavier let out a breath. He was right though. The bell for first period rung. "Well y'all, let's get this bread." We laughed.

Third period came and went and I was on to fourth. About 15 minutes into fourth period a police officer walked past the class door. Everyone saw it. Then next the principal and counselor came into the class requesting me. I stood up grabbed my stuff and went out the door. Nothing in the world could have prepared me for what came next. "At about 9:47 this morning your mother was rushed to the hospital. She passed out at work. The hospital did everything they could. She had an aggressive Tumor on the left side of her brain. At 10:23 she was pronounced dead." I didn't move. My legs didn't work. My blood ran cold. I couldn't even cry. I was at a lost for words and motions. Before I knew it, I am on the floor. The counselor was down here with me. "Breath baby. Breath." I don't wanna think about breathing. I don't. I just want my mom.

A couple of hours later...

I'm sitting on the couch in the counselor's office. I haven't said a word to anyone. I'm done crying. As I sulk, the social worker I comes in. "Hay Tyrene. How's it going?" I cut my eyes up at her. Really bitch? She nods her head. "I see. Well I came to contact you, to ask you if you have any family members that would be willing to take you over night?" I thought to myself. I honestly have nobody. I don't know my dad and my mom didn't have any siblings. I shake my head and start crying. I really don't have anyone. "Shh shh it's okay. We will figure something out." She awkwardly stands up and leaves. What am I gonna do?

Andre McAdams Pov

I sit at a table full of other counselors and staff members. Why did I join the crisis team. We are discussing what to do with miss Tyrene Johnson. We've been going back and forth for hours and I'm quite tired of it. Miss knolls has been bickering with Mr. Maddox for 6 minutes now. I've decided I can't take anymore. "What if she goes home with me? I have a 3 spare rooms and 2 spare bathrooms. That way we can all go home and figure this out in the morning because right now, nothing is being solved." Everyone was quiet. Most looked at the social worker. "You have a background check on file. Space permits. I assume I could grant temporary custody." I let out a deep breath. "Goodness. Problem solved." Everyone in the room seemed to visibly relax. We sat around and talked for a while. One by one they all started to leave. Finally it was me and the social work. "Andre are you sure you can handle this? You are still young. You have your whole life ahead of you. Plus she's emotional. How are you gonna handle that? I'm just concerned." I internally rolled my eyes. "Dondra I will be okay. I have a mother if things get too out of hand. If she can't help, I'll call you. Promise. It's only temporary." She reluctantly signed the papers. I signed them as well. "Well I will go get these notarized. While I do that I suggest you tell Tyrene of her situation." I looked at her. "Dondra ain't that your job?" She shrugged and left.

I walked to the office where she was. She was still. She looked fragile as if no shove would move her, but a gust of wind will. She didn't acknowledge my presence and that was okay. I pulled a chair out from under the table and sat. Personally, I was quite fond of Tyrene. She often came to my office and just sat and talked to me. It really pains me to see her like this. I figured if I start talking she'll have no choice but to listen. "Alright Tyrene, here's the deal. You are gonna come over and spend some time with your favorite head of diversity affairs. I have a extra room and such you will A-okay. What'd ya say?" She didn't respond. Cool. "We are gonna leave soon. As soon as paperwork is finalized." Then I leave. That has to be the most awkward interaction I've ever had. I go straight into my office to make a phone call.
"Hello?"
"Yea, hay moma. I got a problem, well challenge."
"What child?"
"So this girl at the school, her moma died and she ain't got nobody else. I told them I could take her temporarily. I don't know what to with her though."
"Well first of stop talking about her she a dog or something. She is a young lady and should be treated as such." I groan.
"Yes ma'am."
"Mmhmm and all that girl need is love right now and of course the necessities-food, water, clothes..." I cut her off. "Duh moma." She laughed. "You got this baby, love you." I smiled. "Love you too moma." I checked the clock and decided it was time to go. I packed up my stuff and went down to pick up Tyrene. I knocked before entering. "Tyren? Cmon. We leaving." She turns her head and looks at me. I assume I bulge my eyes and shake my head. "Cmon, I was serious. They haven't been able to contact any body so it looks like you're coming with me. I don't want you in a overnight home. That stuff is damaging." She still looked at me kind of confused. I walked toward her and grabbed her bag. Slinging it over my shoulder, I reach over and take her hand. Lets go." I whisper the last part in fear of setting her off. We leave the school through the front doors. The staff and teachers stare at her like she's a side show. I hate it. I still continue and take her to the car. She sits in the front seat, but her back is to me. I turn the radio on and let it play.

Tyrene Pov

I'm in Mr.McAdams car and cant help but be a little relieved that I didn't have to go home with a phyco. We're arriving at his house and it looks like he lives in a pretty nice place. I get out the car and walk to the front door. He looks likes he's trying to grab everything. I wonder if I should help? He seems like he's got it under control. He comes up to the door and let's us both in. I go straight to the couch. He walks by me and heads toward the stairs. I watch him. "You coming or not." It took me a little while to register that he was talking to me. I stumbled over my words before I realized I should just get up and go. So I did. He led me upstairs to a hallway with multiple doors. He pointed to the first one. "This is my room." He opened the door. "If you ever need anything, knock on my door. I don't bite. I promise." I smirked. He pointed to the door across from his. "That is your door." He opened it. "For as long as you stay here, this will be your room. It has a full bathroom and everything." I nodded. "Now go take a shower, you've had a shitty day." Boy was he telling the truth. I nodded my head and went into the room. This is actually pretty nice. I start to undress and turn on the water. I feel myself relax for the first time all day. I still felt terrible. I grabbed the soap off the soap dish and put it on the rag. I hate bar soap, but oh well. I felt the tears coming. I didn't wanna cry anymore. I stopped and stilled myself. I can take a shower without crying. I pushed through and washed. I can do this. I walked out the bathroom wrapped in towel. It now dawned on me that I had no cloths. I walked and sat on the bed. Should I tell Mr. McAdams? I don't wanna bother him. But I need cloths. I walk towards the door, but stop when I see a stack of clothes on the dresser. A note was laying by it. 'Hay, I guess you didn't have anything to wear so this is some clothes I found in the drawers. They belonged to my little cousins. He's bigger than you but it might fit better than mine. If you really need underwear or some like that, I'm down for making a quick trip to the store.' He's so thoughtful. I shift through the cloths pulling out the most pleasing option. They were still huge. I tied the drawstring and tight as I could and knotted the shirt. It'll work. I walked out the room and went across the hall. I was about to knock, but I chickened out. I was about to go back to 'my' room when his door swung open. I jumped a little. "Sorry. I'm used to being alone." I was gonna apologize but he beat me to it. "Did you wanna get something to eat? We can go anywhere you want." He twisted the top of his hair. I figured that would be nice. I could eat. I shrugged and grabbed my jacket and we went to the car. "Where you wanna go?" I shrugged. I didn't know what this man ate. I was really in the mood for fish. "Can we get fish?" He pondered on it and nodded. So this is us. Going to get fish. At 11 at night. As weird as this is, as shitty as the day had been. This, in this moment- feels oddly comforting.