Chapter 20

Ty POV

Even though my grades sucked Dad wasn't as upset as I thought. Initially he was mad, but after that we sat down and talked about it. I told him it's hard and I don't get it. He said we can work on it. Together. He said Antrez actually went to college on a math scholarship so he can help me. I'll see when school start back.

Dad said we're going out tonight and a surprise. I'm excited about the surprise. He even said I can bring Lloyd. That's the best part. I thought that might be the surprise, but it wasn't. I started getting ready a little early. You know so I could look cute for Lloyd. I was interrupted by a knock on the door. I ran downstairs, but stopped when I saw a police car through the window. I tip-toed back up the steps. And knocked on dads door. She shouted for me to come in. "Dad! There is a police car outside. What are the police here for?" He just laughed. This ain't funny. He got up and went down the stairs. I watched from the top of the steps. It was two of them.  I couldn't see the persons face but it sounded like Anthony. Uncle Anthony? I went down the steps and low and behold it was him and the guy that picked me up that one time. I went up and hugged him. "Uncle Anthony how did I not know you were a police officer?" He laughed. "You never asked. And I always change out of my uniform after work and I workout before I go to work. So my uniform is usually always at the job. I kept my radio on silent while you were staying with me and my utility belt in the stow  away in the truck. Plus, I didn't want you to know. I didn't want you to be scared of me." Why would I be scared of him? I turned to the guy that picked me up. "Sorry for being mean to you that one time. I was having a rough time. That's not a good excuse for treating people bad. I'm sorry." He smiled. "It's okay Mija." I smiled. Dad cut in. "Alright, go upstairs. We gotta talk grown folks business." I nodded and turned towards the steps. Back to getting ready. It takes time to look this good.

When I came downstairs Anthony and his friend were gone. I still can't believe I didn't know he was a cop. I feel like he told me. Oh well. I think I look spectacular today. I head out to the car and get in the front. "Ride in the back, I gotta pick up someone." Pick up someone? Who else going. Probably Antrez. We arrive at a house I've seen before. Who is this. Dad hops out the car and jogs to the door. I watch from the back seat. A girl walked out the house. She hugged him. Who is this bitch? Dad opened the front door for her and she climbed in. I had to sit in the back for her? Well Lloyd will be back here with me. So I guess it's okay. Dad looked back at me and smiled. "Ty this is Abigail." I don't say anything. He takes a deep breath. I look out the window.

When we get to Lloyd's house I'm so excited. I've never met his parents. I hop out the car and go to knock on his door. A white guy opens the door. Maybe I have the wrong address. "Sorry sir. I think I have the wrong address." I turn to walk away. I hear the man yell from the door. "Wait! Aren't you Ty?" I turn around and nod. Dad yells from the car. "Ty are you okay." I yell back a yea. The man steps to the side and invites me into the house. The house is super nice. I love the pink walls. Another man comes around the corner and greets me. "Hi Tyrene. It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Keith and this is my husband Damion. We are Lloyd's parents." The both smile at me. How did I not know Lloyd had gay parents.

Everybody has got some explaining to do.

Lloyd comes down right in that moment. He looks scared. "Hay Ty. I see you met my parents. Let's go the movie is starting soon. Bye Dad, bye pops." He grabbed my hand and led me out the door. When we got in the car I turned to him. "Why didn't you tell me your parents were gay?" He started to frown. "I didn't think it would matter." He had an attitude when he said it. I didn't feel like arguing so I pulled my phone out and got on instagram. I didn't even realize we had arrived at the theater. Dad reaches back and tapped my leg. Lloyd was on the other side of the car. He still looked mad. Whatever.