IV: Nuvole Bianche

I snickered, 'how lucky of you to fly with such light wings in the cotton clouds!' and how audacious I was! How illiterately my scornful eyes missed the burdensome emotions behind your dreary wet wings! The clouds that I compared to the pieces of ...

I snickered, 'how lucky of you to fly with such light wings in the cotton clouds!' and how audacious I was! How illiterately my scornful eyes missed the burdensome emotions behind your dreary wet wings! The clouds that I compared to the pieces of cotton with utmost softness, were something that made you struggle in the heavy rain ignoring your tears.

It didn't take long for us to reach Nabi's ballet academy. Nabi is my older sister's ten years old daughter. She is a prodigy in ballet dancing like my sister and was easily admitted to this academy without much havoc. They say, she has pretty eyes like me but I always deny such sayings without further ado. I wish no one in this world have such eyes like me.

I wasn't forever blind, it happened when I was twelve. Diagnosed with some rare eye disease, I slowly lost my eyesight for ever. They gave me five months, and even though I was a kid back then I secretly started searching for the hobbies I could possibly do after being totally blind. And that was how I found sculpture. I could still remember how in those months instead of going overseas and see the unseen, I stared at the very nearest things- like the wings of birds, how the water looks, the colour of soil, the color of my skin. I rarely visit mirrors because that never misses to remind me that not only I will lose the eyesight, the person I love the most, that is myself, will never be able to see again.

I hated my eyes, the same phoenix eyes for which everyone envied me.

While everyone lamented over my eyesight loss, honestly I was excited. Because that was the beginning of seeing the unseen.

Blindness- is not dark or black, to be honest. I don't know how it feels, like if someone asks you to describe the back of your head... you can't tell. That is how blindness feels like. A somber silence void of emotions, but full of visionaries.

Soon my hand on sculpture got more recognition than I have imagined. I got admission from the most popular university in the world with full scholarship and graduated from there at the age of twenty-two. That was how my twelve years had passed by.

And now look, here I am currently the most famous sculptor in the whole Asia.

But in case you have misunderstood, I have a pseudonym. Not that I am uncomfortable with my name it's just... I like the concept.

I am known as Blanc. Blanc is a French word that means white in English. However, I hope it doesn't take you much time to understand what English word is derived from it. Yes, blank.

"Uncle Zhan!" A loud squeal with little tidy-biddy giggles took me out from whatever daze I was in. I faced the source of sounds that didn't lose in the crowd of noises and bullseye! I faced the right side as he perfectly landed in my hug.

"I didn't know you are coming! How come Zen didn't tell me?" judging by the change of her pitch, it seemed she was sulking now. If I could see it!

"What's with the sulking huh? I wanted to surprise you with him suddenly visiting you. I am tired of your whining for not being able to see your uncle Zhan." Zen rapped, and maybe then even stuck out his tongue as I could hear and feel Nabi did the same.

"Ew, Nabi don't do this. I am covered in your spit." I grimaced playfully which only resulted both girls to giggle more. Nabi was busy wiping the non-existent spits from my hand that's when I hear another squeal at some distance.

"Yibo!" A shrill voice took my attention and left me in confuse. Yibo, I have heard the name before but where did-

"Oh my, isn't that Wang Yibo, the famous ray-cicerone?" Zen whispered. Ah, that's why it sounded so familiar.

"He- he is here? I am a huge fan of his violin. Are you sure? Can you guide me to him?" I asked impatiently. I have always wanted to meet ray-cicerone. Now that I have got the chance, never would I ever going to miss it.

"Okay sur- oh, I guess I need to pick up this call. Nabi can you please take Zhan to him, I am having a very important call from La Sol Music academy. Meet me at the gate if anything happens."

Nabi took the order very genuinely and happily guided me to the way where Mr. Wang Yibo supposedly stood. Nabi probably called for his name but he didn't respond as he seemed to be in deep conversation with another person. Am I intruding?

"If you are saying sorry, then cut that. I didn't just come here after months of rehabs and medicines and hospital only to hear apologies from you, okay Rimona." A deep, husky voice full of irony and mockery commented to Rimona, I suppose. Who was in hospital? Yibo Wang? Why so?

At first, I touched his back lightly to find his shoulder and tapped thrice. He was startled at first as his shoulders flinched in surprise. Ah, I feel shy now to touch strangers!

"Is this Mr. Wang Yibo?" I asked shyly. Not getting any verbal reply, I feel how my ears burned in blush and cheeks felt hot. Is he replying by nodding or something else?

"He said yes, uncle Zhan." Nabi piped from downwards. Oh, how could I forgot, I wasn't alone. Nabi is still here.

"Oh, haha..." I let out a nervous chuckle, " Wow, can't believe that I am meeting the famous Wang Yibo here. I am your huge fan, can I have a handshake with you please."

"Su-sure." He stuttered and held my hand that I already protruded for an upcoming handshake. Slowly his huge hands engulfed mine, and they fitted so perfectly. His palms were so warm- the exact warmth you need in a chilly winter or deadly summer. The callouses on his fingers were hard that implied the long worshipping of music, the continuous practice of violin playing.

"Are- you- you are Zhan Xiao right? Blanc, the famous young sculptor in the whole Asia?" the female voice whispered whom if I am not wrong named Rimona.

"I am afraid I am. No pictures please." I chuckled, Mr. Wang Yibo was still holding my hand, and to be honest so was I.

"I am sorry I didn't recognize you at first, I am Wang Yibo." Wang Yibo hastily took his hand from mine and probably bowed as the wind in the gap between us was startled.

"If you are bowing, then don't do it. I can't see you know." I said in a playful tone but only a light gasp returned to my ears. Now, this is becoming uncomfortable. The last thing I wanted ever in my life was pity and apologies. I hate them to death.

"Okay, It's really good to meet you Mr. Wang and I suppose Rimona. You see I came here to pick up my niece and how serendipitous to hold your hand here. But I guess it's time for me to leave, I can't let my tired niece wait for more right?"

"Oh sure sure. The pleasures are also mine to meet someone like you all of a sudden. Do you need any help?" Mr. Wang instantly said out.

As much I wanted to hold his hand again, I detested the sense of pity in his tone more. So subsiding the thoughts of missing the warmth I put on a smile and told them that my P.A. is already there and Nabi is enough for me to guide the way to the door.

Hearing my voice so stern, they didn't push much but still Wang Yibo insisted to at least guide me to the door. And so I let him be.