Chapter 17 - Sorry I Couldn't Do More

On time 😃😃

Steve POV

I never thought a phone call from a woman I have never met could to lead to this.

After Percy somehow managed to return Tony in one piece and we had all calmed him now by putting him in his lab, I went up to the gym to cool off.

Half way through my 6 punching bag I heard a phone ringing. Knowing nobody else would bother to a answer it I ran up the stairs into the main living area and picked it up.

"Hello, this is Steve Rogers speaking how can I help you?" I answer.

"Hi, is this the avengers tower?" A feminine voice asks.

I sigh thinking it's another fan who managed to get our number. "Yes but we don't take direct calls from fans or reporters sorry."

I hear her chuckle, "My name is Sally Jackson, Perseus is my son."

"Sorry mam," I reply quickly, "what can I do for you?"

"Call me Sally and nothing really, but I was wondering if Percy is at the tower?"

"No sorry, he left after bringing Tony back."

I almost hear brow furrow, "It just cause he never turned up to lunch and that is like him. I thought he maybe forgot."

"Sorry but he is not here, if you like I can leave a message or try and track him down."

"Knowing the trouble he gets in I know I shouldn't worry, but he is just back from ....."

"Where were you meeting for lunch?" I question, "I'll quickly run the route and see if I can find him."

"No, I don't want to put you in any hassle," she quickly answers.

"No trouble, I was going for a run anyway," I wasn't really but it will do no harm and I know what it is like to worry about someone who is missing.

"Ohh, I you would that that would be great. We were meeting at Clare's Cafe."

"Goodbye mam, I'll call you back on this number if I find him."

"Thank you so much sir, and I said call me Sally."

I laugh a little as she hangs on the phone.

~~15 minutes later~~

How many different route to this cafe at there?

This is my third attempt and I still haven't found him, but for his mum I won't give up. I know what that feeling is like.

I slow down to a light run to get a good look down the alleys as I go down the street, when I see a figure stumble out of an alley. He is over 6ft and covered in dark red blood.

I spirit over to him when I hear to man shout, "Help!" Before collapsing to the ground. The voice it was so familar.

Percy.

I reach him within seconds but he is already out cold.

The next few hours were a blur but I vaguely remember picking Percy up and racing like hell to the nearest hospital.

At some time I must of called Percy's mum, Sally, and the Avengers because they are here.

After about three hours my head starts to clear.

I see a doctor approaching us, quickly I stand up and ask, "How is he?"

"He was in a bad state when he got to us. One bullet wound to the chest and one the the abdomen. He has had massive blood lose, both external and internally and one of the bullets pierced his lung, I don't know how he lasted as long as he did. We have fixed him up the best we can but honestly I am not sure if he will survive the night. He is out cold right now but you can go and see him if you like." With that he turns and walks away with an apologetic smile.

I turn to Sally and say, "I am so sorry. I am sorry I wasn't fast enough or found him quicker. I am sorry I couldn't do more."

With tears in her eyes she says, "Don't worry Steve, Percy will pull through he always has before."

Soooo how'd you like it?

No idea if Clare's Cafe is a real place, so don't kill me if it is.