it all started with a cappuccino

LISA

ATHENS, GREECE9:32 AM

ATHENS, GREECE
9:32 AM

“how did yours start?”

—————

"Éna kapoutsíno parakaló," I said to the ginger haired barista as she looked me up and down before taking my money and listing off my order while she gave me back my change.

"Onoma?" she asked for my name,

"Lalisa," I said and turned around to sit down on the chairs. 

After spending nearly five years here in Greece was enough time for me to learn their language. It was tricky at first, I needed help from my students who were also learning English from me. It took time for me to adjust around the place, new environment, no acquaintances around for me to talk to, it was hard at first but as soon as I adjusted, everything was quite amusing.

"Lisa!" I turned around as someone called for my name,

"Good morning, Callista." I said, smiling at the presence of my co-teacher, "Aren't you going home to Parga for holidays?" I asked.

"No," she said in English with a hint of her Greek accent, "Mama was asking me to go home, yes. But I figured to just stay here and finish the holiday requirements. Besides you have been spending your Christmas alone, let's celebrate it together then!"

"Are you sure? I don't usually celebrate you know. I just drink cocoa on Christmas morning and spend the rest of my day sipping on eggnog or eat beef, no big celebrations." I teased,

"Silly, I don't mind." Callista said. 

Callista was one of the first faculty I was close to. She was two years older than me, and was engaged to her boyfriend Elias. But when Elias cheated, Callista called the engagement off and Elias went faraway, since then we were closer then ever when she would vent out her emotions to me.

"All alone in here, eh?" she asked again,

"Yes. I needed the caffeine." I said, "Where are you off to?"

"Taking a ride to buy present for my siblings and send it back home a week before Christmas." Callista explained.

"Ena móka gia callista!" the barista called out for her order and she gave me a pat and wave before taking her drink and leaving the coffee shop.

I turned back to my laptop and started checking back the papers that was due on January, but I wanted to finish the school works earlier to lessen the hassle.

As I was typing on my laptop the barista called for my name, "Éna kapoutsíno gia ti Lalisa!" I stood up and approached the front. Picking up my coffee and bending down to pick up the straw that fell down I was startled to hear the next name,