~ Chapter 14 ~

~ CHAPTER 14~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I flick through Instagram and look at all of the girls my age, my ex-friends smiling and laughing in staged photos they took at a party they had during the weekend.

I hated going to parties in high school, but after meeting and dating Jax I grew accustomed to them and felt more comfortable and actually enjoyed them. Although I haven't been to a party since Jax broke up with me, because I found out I was pregnant soon after and lost touch with myself and my interests.

I'm alone in the kitchen this morning, which is odd with such a big family. However it is nice, some peace and quiet. I am always so busy being a mum, a worker and a student that I never have time for myself.

"Hey Tori," my oldest brother says waltzing down the stairs

"Hello Finn," I say and smile at him "What's going on?" I ask him

"Nothing," he says

"Tell me, something has you in a good mood" I reply

"Can't I just be in a good mood?" he asks

"Ah no, you are a complete grouch"

"You wound me little sis," he says and I give him a pointed look so he puts his hands up and smiles at me "I have a date"

"Oh really," I say "That is exciting"

"Yes it is, what are you doing today?"

"I have been invited to a lunch at the Shepherds," I say and he flinches

"Shep still giving you a hard time"

"Yep," I say "He hasn't spoken, let alone looked at me since dinner a couple of weeks ago" I add, after I fell pregnant, I found it easier to be completely honest and more open with my family.

"It will be okay T, he will come around eventually. You are Jax and Vic" he says and I sadly smile.

"I hope so" I reply and he glides right past me

I see the baby move on the monitor so I walk up the stairs to my room, and I pick her up just as she starts to cry, I console her and quickly put her back to sleep. I lay her back down as Scarlett comes out of the shower.

"Hey there," she says

"Hey Scar" I reply and she walks to the closet

"What are we supposed to wear to this," she says and I shrug

"Jeans?" I say and she nods, pulling out a pair of light washed blue jeans. I also make my way over to the closet. At this point, it is a shared closet. I pull out a cute pair of mum jeans and a nice jumper that makes me look respectable.

Scarlett does the same and we get dressed. I grab out some white socks and white tennis shoes, handing the same thing to Scarlett and we quickly finish getting ready. We have enough time but at this rate, we could be late. I have her curl my hair, and I quickly do my makeup.

Once I look presentable enough and whilst she finishes getting ready, I pick out a cute little outfit for Violet and get her changed packing her baby bag. I get everything we need before we pile into the car and head to the Shepherd household

"Nervous?" Scarlett asks me

"No," I say

"Liar" she replies "I can read you" she then says

"A little. I haven't spoken to Jax in ages" I say

"I know" she replies

She pulls into the driveway and parks before we load everything out of the car and walk through the pathway. Scarlett takes Violet out of her car seat and I grab the bag.

We knock on the door and Julian opens it, he says hello to us, and we walk through to where everyone is else is. Olivia is here, which is nice, she says hello, and Chloe is all over us. I'm so lucky to have these 2 as the aunties to my baby, plus Scarlett.

I hug Jane and see if she needs help before I see Jax slip into the living room right past me, I walk back in and go to say hello to him, but he ignores me. I see Ellie walk in after her, and I turn to her when I feel her look at me

"Uh hello Ellie," I say to her and she snarks at, which no one sees

"Hello Vicky," she says and I cringe

"It's Tori... is everything okay?" I reply

"That's not what Sheppie calls you"

"That's different, please call me Tori"

"Oh okay then Tori" she replies angrily "stay away from him, he's mine" she adds

"What," I say back to her

"You know, don't play dumb" she replies "Don't make me tell you again," she says and walks away

I look over at Scarlett and she has Violet tucked in her arms, so I slide away and hide in the toilet. I shut the door quickly and lock it just before the tears start streaming down my face. I slide down onto the ground and put my hand over my mouth muffling my sobs so no one can hear. I bend my head over and finish crying.

I wipe my eyes. I have to be strong for my daughter, and I cannot let her break me down. I have too much counting on me

I look in the mirror and smooth my hair down. My makeup still looks okay, I just have mascara running down my face, so I wipe my face with a towel, and I fake smile in the mirror. I can do this.

I open the door and head back down the stairs, down to the living room where Scarlett is. I stand beside her and look over her shoulder and I touch Violet's nose softly and her face scrunches. She truly is the reason that I live.

Scarlett turns to me and smiles for almost a second, but her face falls when she sees my red eyes. 'What's wrong?' she mouths

"I will tell you later" I whisper in her ear

"Lunch is ready!" Jane calls and I look at her and take the baby from Scarlett as we all make our way into the dining room to eat.

We all take a seat and I look to the spot that I usually sit, and so does Jax. We both go to grab the same chair at the same time, our hand's touch and I feel an electric spark, but we both pull away instantly.

"You sit," we both say at the same time, and I feel eyes on me and it's Ellie's. Jax sees too and instantly moves to be by her. I take my seat and Scarlett sits beside me.

Bit by bit the food is dished out and we eat. It's not what it used to be, but it's never going to be. I feel Scarlett squeeze my thigh throughout lunch to give me some encouragement before we sit through the rest of lunch.

Jane and Julian are sweet, they make a toast to Jax and Ellie, congratulating them on finishing another semester of college, they congratulate Chloe as well and both Scarlett and Chloe on finishing trial exams.

What surprises me is that they make a toast to me, for getting through my exams, and working hard at the firm, I smile at them and thank them. I am so grateful for these two.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~