~ Chapter 01 ~

~ CHAPTER 01~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE SMALL SOUND of a baby's cry is heard in the early hours of the morning. The crying sound is distressed and becomes louder and louder. I immediately open my eyes and the person beside me sits up frantically.

"I'll get her," The voice says and it's my best friend Scarlett Hayes

"No, it's fine," I say

"Okay then" she replies and lays back down, rolling over

I get up slowly and I pull a sweater over my head, I peer into the bassinet right beside my bed, and look at my crying baby.

"Hey, hey," I say and I lift her out of the bassinet and into my arms, she immediately stops crying, and snuggles into me and I start to feed her.

"Hi, baby girl," I say and run my finger down her small nose "Were you hungry Violet Jane?" I say cooing at my 6 almost 7-week old baby girl Violet.

"Ugh, I can't go back to sleep," The voice beside me says and I laugh "Sorry Scar"

"No no, it's okay, I can't resist my god baby" she replies and sits up "I don't mind if you wake me up to do I Vi," she says in her baby voice grabbing onto her baby hand,

"I want coffee," I say, yawning.

For being 6 weeks old Violet sleeps pretty well during the night, but I had school work to finish. You would think that I would take time off after having a baby but no. After Violet finishes eating I hand her to Scarlett and she starts to burp her.

"Did you want coffee?" I say to her

"Yes please," she replies. I don't know what I would do without Scarlett, she has been a lifesaver. She moved in as soon as she found out that I was pregnant with Violet.

I check the time. It's 6 am. I walk down the stairs as quietly as I can be. My dads at the kitchen bench, eating a granola bar reading the newspaper

"Hi Dad," I say and I start the coffee machine

"Good Morning Tori" he replies

"Do you have an early surgery?" I ask my dads a surgeon, my mums a scrub nurse. That's how they met, romantic right.

"Yes, at 7... Rough night?" he asks as I pour 2 big cups of coffee

"No big day," I say and he laughs

"If you need any help kiddo," he says

"I can always ask" I finish for him and I smile kissing his cheek before I trudge back up the stairs into my bedroom where Scarlett has changed Violet's diaper and they are watching a baby program on tv.

Violet is way too young to understand anything but Scarlett claims it's good for her development, I think Scarlett just really enjoys the shows.

"You are god," she says as I place the cup of coffee on her side table

"I know I am," I say and I sit on the bed next to her "I start work at 9, but I want to be at Jane's at 8, did you need to be dropped off?" I ask Scarlett, she's just about to graduate high school.

Fortunately, I found out I was pregnant with Violet at the end of the summer, and I graduated 6 months later, a semester early, I then started working for Jane after she found out I was pregnant, I had Violet not long after and then started community college.

"No, I should be fine, who is looking after Vi today?" she asks

I work a standard 9-5 job at Shepherds Law & Co. I work for Jane as a personal assistant. I also take a couple of classes at the college down the road from here.

"Mum," I say "I'll take her round to see Jane and Julian, and mum will pick her up after dad's surgery" I add.

Perks of being a highly respected surgeon is that dad can request who he wants in his OR, so he and mum have little surgery dates.

"Cool, well I'll be there right after school" I work under Jane, and Scarlett is the practice manager for admin, so she manages those who work at the front reception, and other duties.

"Are you excited to be graduating next month?" I ask

"Yes, I'm so sick of hell" she replies and I laugh, we quickly drink our coffee and interact with Violet, before Scarlett gets up to get in the shower whilst I get Violet ready for the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~