Runaway

(Brooklyn's POV)
(Age: 12)

I'd actually done it!!

After three years of preparation, escape attempt 3 had come out a success!

Not without a price to pay though.

I'd been searching for any form of place to stay for around two years, and I'd been abused by more than just my family.

Wolves and bears I could understand, but even the trees seemed to claw at me any chance they got.

Once again, like years before with Susie, I found myself in the forest, but a lot further in this time.
I was pretty positive that I'd gotten away for good.

After all, what chance did they have at finding me after two years?!

I clambered up a hill that I could've sworn I'd never seen before, and over the tip of it, I saw a large wooden sign in the distance.

"Camp Camp..." I read aloud, but the last four letters were too worn out to read.

I made my way over to the camp, with only a ribbon of moonlight to guide me, and at the entrance, I noticed that no one was there.

What did I expect. It's around 3am.. I reminded myself.

I wandered drowsily around the camp, and it didn't take long for me to end up falling asleep on one of the logs which had fallen from the "camp fire" structure.

////////////////////////////////////////////////

(The next day)

I woke abruptly to the loud bickering of many children, and the unseemly feeling that they were all watching me.

"Guys wait! She's up!" Cried one of them, gazing down at me. "I'm Nikki!" She bounced, her blue pigtails bouncing with her.

"Don't give introductions to a stranger." One with a blue hoodie and fluffy black hair snarled.

"Now now kids, what's all the fuss?" A tall man with red hair that perked up on his forehead emerged from the Counselors Cabin.

"Some rando showed up here last night!!" The blue-hoodied boy snapped, gesturing to me.

"Max, whatever do you mea- Oh my goodness!!" The Counselor Man seemed very excited when he noticed me, "Welcome to our camp, little lady!! I'm David!" He exclaimed.

The man held out his hand for me to shake it, and I flinched suddenly.

"Uh.. you alright..?" He asked, and I shot up onto my feet trying to act as though nothing had happened.

"Heh- I'm sorry. That's a force of habit.." I apologized while messing awkwardly with my shirt - or whatever of it I still had.
It was mostly torn up.

It's been two years since you got out, can't you just get over it?! I scolded myself silently.

"A force of habit? Oh dear.. well- Max! Seeing as you set the main hall on fire TWICE yesterday, you're taking our new member on a tour. Sound fair?"

"If I say no will it change your mind?" 'Max' grunted.

"Haha! Nope!" David began to shove Max towards me like it might make him more enthusiastic.

"Wait-... you mean I can stay?!" I gasped.
I'd not had a place to stay since I left.

This would be everything I needed.

"Of course!! We'd love to have you here until the end of the summer!" David smiled and forced Max towards me again.

Until the end of the summer... I thought, what am I gonna do then?!..