The boy on the island

{ Brooke's POV}

As I ran further and deeper into the forest, the sky grew darker.

It was getting late, and by the time I slowed down to think, I hadn't the slightest idea where I was.
Or where camp was.

I wandered between dark trees and over patches of dirt and grass through the ever-growing night.

I panicked; stopped to get my bearings.

All I could see was the silhouette of trees.
Trees, everywhere.

So many trees.

And, something moving...

I backed away slowly into a moonlit glade, and my back hit a tree.
I scurried behind it and peeked out, watching the figure grow closer.

A boot stepped out into the glade, followed by a green dress and silky white hair.

'Vera?'

"It's alright, comrade. No need to be afraid."

I whipped my head the other way and held my breath.
'It's actually Vera. Oh my stars- don't embarrass yourself Brooklyn.'

"Uh- heyy! You..!" I turned back to her with an awkward cheesy grin.

"Come out from behind the tree. I don't bite." She teased, and I stepped away from it, flustered.

"Whyyy aren't you at camp??" I asked, feeling a sudden wave of comfort and relaxation as the moonlight hit me.

"I come out here when I must get away." She told me, "What about you?"

"I had a fight with my best friend," I muttered regretfully, "then got lost."

"Oh, sad to hear." She said with a slight frown. "Why don't we go somewhere else? There's a place I like to go to relax."

I hesitated.
"Sure, alrighty. Lead the way Vera!"

Soon enough, we'd boarded a row-boat and found ourselves on Spooky Island, a small island opposite where the camp was situated.

"This is your hang out zone.?" I asked uneasily as bugs of Satan's workshop scurried past my feet.
"Seems sketchy as hell."

"There is a treehouse not far from here. Do not panic." She replied, keeping her head straight and her eyes locked forward.

She escorted me to a rotting wooden ladder entwined with moss and ivy.
"We climb."

Suddenly, there was a rustle from the bushes.
Then another.

Vera and I stepped back, silent with anticipation.

And then, a boy.
A boy with blonde hair tumbled out of the bushes before us.

Wearing a yellow vest over a purple shirt, worn out shorts and no shoes.

He stood and brushed dirt off himself, cursing out a raccoon to himself.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////
{3rd person}

"Oh- hello fellas!" He looked up at both girls, who were staring down at him with hints of visible relief and confusion.
"I haven't seen you dudes hanging around Spooky Island before?"

"We just came here to uh- get away from stuff.." Brooke replied nervously.

"That's coolio. What are you doing with my treehouse?"

"Your treehouse?" Vera narrowed her eyes, "My comrades and I built this treehouse."

"Oh! So you're the tubular kid who made my hangout! Thanks!" The boy smiled, and Brooke turned to Vera with a look of confusion.

"Sooo- What's your name kiddo?" Brooke bent down slightly to the boy's height.

"I'm Jasper! I basically live on Spooky Island since I can't go anywhere else." He answered, kicking away a stone.

"Why, don't have a boat?"

"Nope, I'm cursed."

"....or that!" Brooke quickly stood up straight.

"Cursed?" Vera asked.

"I know it sounds crazy, but I died here about 14 years ago. You guys might know my best bud, Davey!" Jasper told them, and they both made a small gasp.

"Davey? As in David??" Brooke's eyes were saucers pinned on Jasper's smiling face.

"Yeppers!" He said.

"Yea!!. Yea I know him!" Brooke smiled.

"Really? That's swell! How's he doing?"

"We don't talk much about our emotions- he's my camp counselor, we're not that close."

"So, he got his dream job eh?" Jasper pulled a sad smile.

"We should get going." Vera said and gripped Brooke's arm.

"Can't we stay for a bit? He seems nice!!"

"It's not him, it's whatever else could be on this island, I mean if there's ghosts then-."

"I get it." Jasper sighed.

"Oh c'mon! I thought you said this was your relaxation place or somethin??" Brooke began to climb up the rotting ladder.

"BROOKE!!" A voice screamed from the distance, "BROOKE!"

"Hm? What? Who?" She dropped back down and looked around frantically.

Her eyes darted from tree to tree trying to locate the source of the sound, until it came crashing through the bushes as Jasper had done.

"BROOKE!"
He stood himself off, wiping off mud and leaves from his hoodie.

"I'm sorry for what I said!!" She exclaimed, helping him up.

"Same but we don't have time!" Max cried, "Daniel's back! And the woodscouts have taken over!"

".....you're kidding."

{A/N: Hey guys! Sorry if this whole thing seemed a little off track, I just needed a chapter where I could introduce Jasper for future chapters and twists :) }