Here we go again

I woke up surprisingly early in the morning, before anyone in my tent, and decided to head outside.

As I stepped out into the morning light, I spotted David talking to someone... alarmingly similar.

Pretty much a copy and paste of David, but, blonde...

As I stumbled closer, I made out that the David-like-man had all white clothing, a slightly stronger accent, and...

Wait a second..

No. It couldn't be.

Before anyone could spot me, I dashed off.

I scrambled behind Mess Hall, my breathing uncontrollably heavy and my heart pounding out of my chest.

I could feel my eyes watering and my cheeks heating up rapidly as I panted, begging silently that I'd seen wrong.

It can't be him! Not now! It just can't! I tried to convince myself uselessly.

"Maybe I saw it wrong! After all the sun was in my eyes- and- and.." I broke into a fit of tears and sunk to the grass, clutching my knees to my chest.

"You uh.. you good?" Max's voice sounded from above me. I gritted my teeth.
He was the last person I'd want to talk to.

"If this is about the rumour, Nerris went and told everyone I lied. It's because you hugged me yesterday. I just wasn't prepared for it and it freaked me out.." he added.

"S-sorry I guess.." I managed to utter beneath my tears. Why are you apologising?! I scolded myself, he's using reverse psychology on you or something! It's HIS fault!

"It's whatever," he muttered,  "that's not what you're crying about right?"

"I'm not weak enough to cry over something like that." I picked myself up and wiped my tears on my sleeve.

"Then what the fuck's going on?"

"Uhh.. I just thought I saw something," as I spoke, I realised just how weak that actually sounded. "someone.."

"Oh, right. That's lame." Max rolled his eyes and began to walk off.

"Wait!-" I called, despite myself.

"Hm?" He turned back to me, and I stood there like a dummy, still and speechless.
I didn't exactly know what I'd called him back for.

"Uhh.. can I stick with you for a bit?-" I blurted unintentionally, "I'm still a bit on edge.."

Max hesitated.
"Fine, whatever. But if you start having a little tantrum again don't expect me to comfort you."
He signaled for me to follow him and the two of us walked off to find Nikki and Neil.

////////////////////////////////////////////////

(Later on)

David had called us all into Mess Hall, and I followed Max and Neil in with Nikki giggling on my back.

I set her down as everyone quieted and turned their attention to David, who cleared his throat to be heard over the crowd of children.

"Campers," he began, and I listened as Max mumbled something under his breath about David.  "I'd like you all to give a warm welcome to our new Co-Counselor, Daniel!!" He finished as the same man I'd begged I'd seen incorrectly before stepped out from behind him.