Prologue

"We all gonna die, we bleed from similar veins."

                                                                                  -Tupac Shakur 

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

                                                                                  -The Usual Suspects

"It is more difficult to love God than to believe in Him; on the other hand, it is more difficult for people of this century to believe in the Devil than to love him. Everyone makes use of him and no one thinks him real. The sublime subtlety of that Devil."

                                                                              -Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil, Preface

Prologue

~Elena~

Drifting, drifting, drifting... 

"Elena," Stefan cried out, reaching for my hand across the room. Next to him, with a surprising amount of fear in his eyes, Damon out-stretched his hand to me, leaving me to decide: let Stefan take me with him, or choose to pick Damon.

What's going on?

I looked around and found myself trapped in the center of a ring of fire. Something caught the corner of my eye, so I twisted around, only to find golden wings, entrapped in another circle of flames. And I somehow knew their name: the Wings of the Wind.

Staring back at the brothers confusedly, I watched my hand stretch out over the flames, unsure which brother it was going to. Another hand landed on my arm, forcing it down. Stefan exhaled, then crumpled to the ground. Instantly, Damon turned in the direction Stefan had fallen and he, too, crumpled to the ground, revealing a small syringe in his stomach. The scent of blood drifted over to me and my eyes widened.

Something jabbed into my back. I tried to scream, but only a gasp escaped my lips. I crumpled to the ground, and the last thing I saw was the golden wings. And then their owner got up shakily. Leighanne?

~Leighanne~

My vision blurred as I scrambled to my feet shakily. My back felt really heavy, for some reason, but I managed to get up. Twisting around, something flashed on my back and I twisted around to try to see them. I froze in horror, though, as I noticed where I was. I was in a dark abandoned factory, and Elena, Stefan, and Damon were in the corner, seemingly out cold. I started towards them, but saw I was surrounded by a ring of odd-smelling fire. I stopped dead in my tracks and looked around. I bit my lip indecisively and edged towards a thinner section of the fire to help them, but the fire roared up at me as I tried. Something grabbed my arm and yanked me away from the ring.

"What," a man said dangerously as I tried to break from his grip, "do you think you're doing?" I whirled around to see a man with short dark hair, matching eyes, and a scowl. "Leighanne Gilbert."

"How- how do you know my name?" I noticed he wasn't in the circle with me.

He scowled and let go of my arm. There was something about him that seemed really familiar... Something about an 80's band? 

"Who are you? Who are you, really?"

He turned and barked into the corner near Stefan and Damon. Elena's body looked like she had been moving over to them. "Sam!"