Arrival

-*~  [2] Chapter {2}  ~*-

~Dean Winchester~

I drove the Impala down the quiet road marked WELCOME TO MYSTIC FALLS. Over the population sign, someone had drawn over it in spray paint, replacing it with: dropping. I had chuckled at that, but Sam had just frowned and began digging through books.

"Remind me why we're not just going straight to the college," I said, breaking the silence as we came up to what looked like a main road.

"Because, Dean," Sam looked up from the papers with a sigh, "they'd have death certificates and causes of death at the town. Doesn't it strike you as a connection? She was from Mystic Falls, she dies on the other side of the state, then reappears and dies again in Mystic Falls?"

"No, Sam," I said dryly. "It doesn't. In fact, that's just down right normal, and you're lucky I'm not turning the car around right now."

Sam chose to ignore my sarcasm. "And anyway, the college is practically right next door to the high school."

"If it is the town," I reminded him. "For all we know, someone could've killed her here. Now, that is a thought. Although the whole ganking herself thing is weird. Usually, we have to help them with that."

Sam shrugged, but said nothing.

I rolled my eyes. "Come on, Sam, you can't tell me this place isn't your every day suburbia."

Sam looked out the window, pointedly ignoring me.

I sighed loudly and looked around. Abruptly, I swerved the car into park in front of a building that read "Mystic Falls Police Department."

We took out the fake FBI badges and walked inside. "Agent Elliot," I showed my badge to the secretary. "This is Agent Joel," Sam took out his badge.

The secretary looked unimpressed, but shrugged. "Who are you here to see?"

"The coroner who works here," Sam said. The secretary snorted and went back to her computer. "Good luck with that."

I glared at her over the screen. She looked up, an amused smile on her face. "You're very uninformed; never been to Virginia?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

She snorted again and rolled her eyes. As she kicked her feet up onto the desk, she fiddled with a pen. "Why'd you wanna see the coroner? Maybe you'd better see-" she stopped herself quickly, then continued, "the Sheriff, I mean."

"We need to ask him a few questions," Sam said confusedly.

She laughed once. "Third door on your right, slot 79, then go to the filing cabinet, file 79."

I turned and marched down the hallway, trying to shake off the strange feeling in my stomach. Sam walked into the room and flipped the lights on. Inside was like nothing I'd ever seen before. It was clean white, but not stark. Just white and orderly. 

I opened the slot in the wall that read 79. Inside was the body of a man with caked blood on his chest. "Oh," I muttered. "Guess he's not helping us, then."

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" a woman's voice asked. I could hear her taking the safety off a gun. 

I held up my hands and turned around slowly. A woman wearing police uniform and a badge proclaiming her to be Sheriff Forbes pointed the gun at me.

"Agents Elliot and Joel," I said slowly, reaching into my pocket for the badge. Sam did the same and we held them out cautiously. She took them and examined them carefully, then put the gun down. "Sorry, Agents. We're a bit short on staff lately. It's been ... tense around here lately."