Lucid Dreaming and Not-Dreaming

A few weeks ago.... 

Chapter 1

________________

I sat in the passenger seat of Matt's run-down car. Matt looked away for a second and suddenly, Rebekah was there, standing right in the path. Well, that's stupid, I remember thinking. Elena, however, had a different thought about it.

"Matt, look out!" I remember the fear in her voice as she cried out, even though must've known being hit by a car wouldn't kill an Original, and then it all went in slow motion. Matt slowly turned the wheel, missing Rebekah, and the car drove straight off the bridge. The water approached ever so slowly as we were air-borne, which felt like the car was falling in butter. Elena barely had time to gasp. My eyes were glued to the water, and my heart honestly froze into ice.

I remember the exact moment the car hit the water and started sinking. I had pressed desperately against the window, but to no avail. I had fumbled with the seat belt and sat up sharply. Turning around, I remember seeing Elena, my older sister, in the back seat with her eyes closed.

One of the only truly clear moments I remember, the ones that make me forget I'm dreaming, is trying to nudge her, but my fingers went right through her. The stark pale translucency of my fingers had shocked me. The only time I had ever seen a color that pale was when my father had turned to look at me the first time we went off the bridge. I can still remember with clarity the exact second my heart stilled. I turned back to see. . . me. Or, rather, a life-sized doll that resembled me greatly. I looked to Matt, whose skin, unlike mine, was turning blue.

Suddenly, a figure appeared at the window. Stefan, I had been shocked to realise.

He reached for me and Elena, but she came to all of a sudden and pointed to me and Matt. She shook her finger at Stefan and pointed clearly to me. Stefan then turned to me, but, prodding the me-doll, a sharp pain hit my stomach. I can still recall easing my spirit back into my body, and all the pain it took and caused. I shook my head frantically and nudged Matt and attempted to point to Elena. Stefan grabbed him and tried to grab Elena, but she shook out of his grasp somehow. Stefan swam up for air, leaving me and my sister alone in the water, all but left to die. The water doesn't even hurt my lungs anymore.

Elena's eyes closed, and my spirit floated back out of my body. I maneuvered my soul's way into the backseat so I could spend the last few seconds of our lives with my sister. I watch, knowing what will happen: Elena's skin won't turn blue, as Matt's had. Her skin turns pale, like mine. She let out a final, frantic gasp, and then with horror, I can see a shimmer of Elena sitting next to her body as it turns paler and paler. The shimmery Elena rested her eyes on me. The veins around her eyes jutted out- just like a vampire's, I think as I had the first time. Even within the dream, the flashback came with clarity.

"I don't wanna be a vampire, Leighanne," Elena had sobbed.

"I'm so sorry, Lena," I had replied, crying a little too.

Elena had never wanted to be a vampire. Then the rest of the images flickered.

Elena holding my hand as we went to school when we were in first grade.

Elena taking care of me and Jeremy as kids.

Me making dinner for the two of us when we were five. Mom and Dad were at the hospital with Jeremy when he had his appendix taken out, and myself and Elena were left alone in the house.