Red Substance

Chapter 3

Her bracelet jangled as her tan wrist released her final knife. Not stopping to check but certain it had met its target in her target's neck, she then drew the handgun she'd received earlier in the day and took the safety off with a mumbled curse. Firing off a few shots, the man next to her let out a matching swear as their adversaries advanced further, almost closing in on the armed trio.

A shot fired off from the enemy, headed right for the tanned girl's head. She dodged, using pure instinct and adrenaline to throw her weight completely over, out of the course of the bullet, but the man next to her had already deflected the bullet off his long machete with ease. "Watch your back, kid," he grunted at the younger girl as she scrambled to regain her balance.

She blinked, but didn't reply, her battle instinct too strong to stop all of a sudden for a pleasant conversation.

The next wave of the enemy stalled. Taking advantage of the reprieve, the shorter man with the machete handed it to the taller man on her other side and took out an antique-looking revolver. The girl squinted her honey-brown eyes and practised taking aim with the handgun that she didn't have the skill to identify, just that it did the job.

"Just remember that gun won't kill 'em," the shorter man barked at her. "But it'll slow 'em down long enough to finish 'em."

The girl rolled her eyes at him, but nevertheless nodded, and checked the clip: no real bullets, all salt and wood.

"Ready?" the taller man asked them. The two nodded. The girl brushed long brown hair out of her eyes. "Let's do this."

The shorter man shot her a smirk, then turned to the stalling monsters, hiding in the trees, unsure if to attack or not. "Come and get me, you sons of-"

One dropped from a tree, her long teeth outstretched as she lunged for his throat. He fired off two shots into her skull before she was even on the ground. She dropped to the ground, alien yellowish lights flickering in her eyes as she convulsed on the ground.

Another snarled, and tensed his muscles to go to her, and another, and another, until they were all dropping from the trees. The shorter man smiled darkly. The girl took the safety off the gun and took a deep breath, bracing herself. The taller man shot her a kind smile, but didn't say anything.

Then they hit.

A majority of them went straight for the taller man, instinct telling them he was more of a threat than the other two. Their instinct was wrong.

The trio fired off several shots, each hitting barely detectable rotting flesh, with only a single bullet missing the intended target: right between the eyes.

Thirteen of them dropped, followed by four more.

One of the last knocked the girl off her feet, and she thrashed around as his fangs glittered from above her as she was squashed under his weight to the ground. Her hand fumbled for her gun, but he knocked it out from her hands. The two men turned, and, upon seeing them, took aim. Just as his fangs were about to sink into her neck, he dropped, gasping and clutching at his chest.

The girl threw him off her with ease, smirking down at the body that now had a long wooden stick sticking out of his chest, retrieved from the forest floor. Her companions gaped at her as she withdrew a machete and sliced the blade through the vampire's neck. While she wiped blood off the blade, she sent them a smirk over her shoulder at the gaping men. "Didn't think I could do it, did you?"