The Same; Both

Chapter 9

The Same; Both 

        "I don't want to play, Jeremy!"

The little boy crossed his arms and pouted. "You're boring, Leia!"

"No, you're boring!" The 7 year old dirty blonde stuck her tongue out at her little brother from where she sat on the grass of the garden. The 5 year old boy stood across from her, glaring childishly at the girl.

"What if we play hide-and-seek?" suggested Elena sweetly, ever the peacemaker.

Leia crossed her arms. "Playing hide-and-seek's rubbish with three people."

"Tag?" Jeremy tried. "C'mon, it's even worse playing with two people instead of three."

"Chess has two players," Leia pointed out smugly.

"But that's chess," argued Jeremy.

"So?" replied Leia stubbornly.

"Enough, both of you," their mother came out. Miranda Gilbert. Her sharp green studied the three children carefully, analyzing them as she crossed her arms.

"Mommy!" Elena ran to her, wrapping her tiny arms around her mother's knee. "Jeremy and Leia are fighting again!"

"No, we're not!" Jeremy yelled at his sister. "Leia's just stupid!"

"No, I'm not, you are!" 

"Leighanne, Jeremy, you're both being absolutely ridiculous," their mother picked up Elena as she spoke. "Now, it's time for lunch."

Elena crossed her arms and held her head importantly. "Yeah!"

Leia and Jeremy glanced at each other before dashing past their mother into the house, climbing over each other. Bickering could be heard down the hallway.

"Mommy?" Elena spoke softly, playing with a strand of her mother's dark hair. "Why do Leia and Jeremy fight all the time?"

She sighed. "Your brother looks up to her, so when she disappoints his expectations, it upsets him, darling."

"Why does she dis- disappoint him?" Elena struggled over the big words, but she refused to ask her mother to tell her what "expectations" meant.

"Because she's his guardian angel half the time, and the other half she's his competition."

Elena struggled but couldn't remember if she'd ever been told what competition meant. Her mother continued, oblivious to her daughter's confusion. "Your brother doesn't like that she's both."

        Castiel observed the scenes from Leia's life, carefully searching for the Winchesters. He trusted the two men, but surely they must know their sister? He knew his sisters, and apparently most other families knew their sisters. But Dean had seemed genuinely shocked. 

"Leia-"

"Don't call me that! Stop! Shut up!"

"Are you ready for your first day of high school, Jer?" Leia smirked at her nervous brother. She took a sip of her mint tea. "I mean, on my first day, the seniors went out of their way to deter us- it was insanity," the girl gushed. She looked quite young despite the make-up on her face and the sophisticated jewelry and outfit.  "Elena found Bonnie trapped inside her locker, a sophomore girl attacked Caroline because they were wearing the same shoes, Tyler was hung off the flag pole by his underwear-"