A Cured Leia

Chapter 6

        "Ask me yourself."

At once, three heads turned to see a wryly smiling Leighanne -Leia, Elena reminded herself.

She smirked proudly. "Not so smug now, are you, Guardian?"

Giselle bristled and stepped towards Leighanne. "Tell me, Leia Gilbert, what are you?"

Leighanne set her amber-gold eyes on Giselle. "Why are you calling me Leia? More to the point, what are you talking about? I'm a vampire, aren't I? No," she contradicted herself. "No, no. Something happened. I'm not a vampire anymore."

"Leia," Elena said, sitting next to her on her plush yellow bed and took her hand. Her sister stared at the doppelganger, the rebellion in her eyes giving way to confusion, and, though she'd never admit to it, a dash of fear. "Leia, listen to me," Elena said carefully. "Please. Remember when we were kids? Remember when you had that fight with mom and dad, and then you wanted to be called Leighanne and you were talking about those four angels, and then we were at the hospital?"

Leighanne blinked sharply a few times, and her voice shook weakly. "What about it?"

"Remember the four angels you were talking about? The three low-ranking angels and the high-ranking one?"

Leighanne started. "How- how can you know- the low-ranking ones were Guardians, obviously- how could-" she sniffled miserably, her eyes wide. "You're not a-" her voice choked on tears and weakened. "Are you, Elena?"

Elena paused, then glanced back at Ryannen. Leighanne made a choking noise and ran out of the dorm room. Elena ran after her. "Leia! Leighanne! Leia!"

Leighanne ignored her sister's calls and kept running. What was a bit of a shock was that Elena could still see her sister in the distance; she was used to Leighanne -Leia?- just zooming off. The Petrova Doppelganger ran as fast as she could, but still, her twin was far faster than herself. When did that happen? Elena asked herself. Elena had been training since they were seniors in high school, while Leighanne'd just settled for putting more effort into her Tae Kwon Doe courses, saying "I'd rather die fighting than running," and, in all honesty, whenever she asked Damon and Stefan to help her practice, she was more than capable of decking them and fake-killing them, though she always tried to decapitate instead of stake them. 

Leighanne continued sprinting, finally making it onto the road, completely ignoring her blue Mini Cooper. Without stopping, she sprinted flat out of the campus. 

Elena, realizing she wouldn't be catching up with her twin any time soon, quickly got into her car and drove after her sister in her white Chevy Cruz, a birthday present from Leighanne two years back, a present Elena had been reluctant to accept, as she knew hadn't been bought with money, just compulsion.

Leighanne must've seen the headlights on Elena's car following her as she ran through the streets of Mystic Falls, because she veered off the sidewalks and leaped old Mrs. Podgit's green fence and cut through her backyard, going in God knows what direction. 

Sighing, Elena leaned back into her car seat, guilt and fear pitting at the bottom of her hungry stomach. She placed her head on top of the steering wheel tiredly and took deep breaths, trying to ignore the throbbing in her head. Leighanne was a wild card in the right -wrong?- circumstances, and now was most definitely one of those times. There was no telling what she'd do, never mind where she'd go and how she'd get there. When they were 15, Elena was woken the morning after Leighanne had a fight with their parents to Leighanne's not calm, not panicked, and least of all indifferent voice, asking if Elena could pick her up from Miami, that she was in an unknown hotel and had "one banged up hellicious head-ache" but that Elena shouldn't worry because "like I'd sleep with that whiny loser, I sent him packing. Oh, BTdubs, I joined up with this sisterhood of the traveling pants type group, and, um, can you bring Matt and Jeremy with you to distract them? They have this acceptance-into-the-group-is-forever thing and I'd like to go home."