Sheer and Veil

Chapter Four

Elena stumbled to the ground as her sister did. "Leighanne!" she cried. "Leia!"

Leighanne coughed and crumpled to the ground, her wide golden eyes losing the light behind them. Elena began sobbing. "No!" she choked out. "No! You're not dead! You're not dead! WAKE UP, LEIGHANNE!" she began screaming and crying.

"Get her out of here," Ryannen ordered Elsie and Giselle. A sobered Elsie gently murmured to Elena, none of which she heard. Giselle and Elsie managed to pick her up and drag her away.

Ryannen gazed down at the twitching body so similar to the body she'd just watched die and revive itself into a new species. Of course, the two were very different, not even twins at all, Ryannen knew. It was the minuscule details between their mere appearances that tore a great, big, gaping hole between them, even though they had a small amount of similar blood, reflected Ryannen with a small smile. But not nearly the blood of twins. Leighanne's blood ... no, that particular blood belonged to a different clan, as the blonde Guardian all too knew well. She didn't know which one, but certainly not identical to Elena's. She pursed her lips at the thought. That was the last thing she needed to concern herself about right now; not knowing isn't everything. With a wave of her hand, Leighanne's convulsing body rose into the air and landed on the bed on the other end of the room from Elena's, which the blonde Guardian assumed was Leighanne's.

Sighing, Ryannen settled back into the large comfy chair next to the desk. She looked around the room and noticed a package, freshly opened, under the desk. Curious, the blonde Guardian picked it up. Gazing at it for a moment, she opened it and rummaged through it carelessly.

A clear vial filled to the brim with liquid marked HOLY WATER around the center on a strip of tape.

A scrap of paper with numbers and an odd language written on it in sloppy handwriting. Ryannen waited for the Guardian tattoo that transfused different bloodstreams into her own blood to translate the language for her, just as it always did. She frowned when it didn't, Does it always take this long? The words didn't rearrange themselves into her birth language, as they always did. She quickly took a picture of the paper with her phone and frowned at the characters. The sooner this girl either drops dead or wakes up, the sooner I can get back home and look this up, Ryannen thought to herself as she continued through the package.

Continuing, a journal fell out as well, a leather one with the initials LW carved into the corner. LW?

Flipping the package over, something fluttered out of the package. It appeared to be an assortment of pictures paper-clipped together, each depicting a few people. The first one appeared to be a newborn child, and written in purple girlie script over unreadable soft blue ink was: Leighanne Claire  September 29 1990  age 5 hours.

Then another: two young girls, each with light, wispy hair and almost identical to each other. They both wore tulle tutu dresses with flowers along the top, one soft yellow, and one lavender; big ribbon bows in their hair; held childish woven baskets in their hands; but had two very different sparks in their eyes. The grinning one with dark, almost black hair wore the light yellow dress, and her basket full of painted eggs. The slightly shorter girl had a shade lighter hair than her sister and wore the lavender dress, her basket overflowing with candies, a few wrappers already littering the ground behind her. On the back, in the same script: LE41695Easter.

The next image depicted a young boy, maybe three years old, with loose, shaggy blond hair that fell into his big, adorable brown eyes. On the back, in a girlie -if rushed- and different to the purple one before, there was only a time written: 4AM