V. It's the Little Things

The next few days are dreadful. Students walk past giving nasty looks everywhere I went, including the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students. Parents continue to send letters, complaining to Professor Dumbledore about letting me stay at Hogwarts. Uncle Severus hasn't talked to me ever since that night in Professor Dumbledore's office. I stare at the Daily Prophet. Are we waiting for the Grindelwald child to do something terrible? The Minister has refused to lock the Grindelwald child because she has done 'no harm'. They believe she is innocent and are trying to give her a chance to prove herself. I sigh, throwing the newspaper down on the table. I pack up my belongings and head out of the library. "Ah, well if it isn't the wannabe Slytherin," a snarky voice comments. I roll my eyes, turning to face the last person I want to see right now. "I assure you, I don't want to be a Slytherin," I shoot back at Pansy. Blaise smirks at me. "Why are you looking at me like that? I don't want to be on your side," I tell him, reading his mind.

Blaise applauds in awe. "We could make a great team," he states. Pansy nudges him. "Please Blaise, stop embarrassing yourself. I'd rather be friendless than work with her," she hisses, crossing her arms. "Glad we're on the same page. Now if you'd excuse me, I have class to get to," I say, brushing past her. "Must be heartbreaking that Snape disowned you," Pansy spits out. I stop walking. "I don't blame him though. It's messed up how you hid your identity from him.. But I guess it's for the best. You're a disgrace to him, anyways." I clench my fist. Don't react. She's only trying to get under your skin. Don't let her get to you. "God Pansy, why are you so awful?" Draco says, coming to stand next to me. She scoffs in disbelief. "Draco! What are you doing defending her?" Draco turns me around to face them. He doesn't care what they think. "I'm tired of you picking on her. I told you before and I'll say it again, Ellie is my friend. I don't appreciate you bullying my friend." I smile softly at him. "B-but I'm your friend too," Pansy cries. "You won't be if you keep this up," Draco states.

He takes my wrist and guides me down the corridor. "Playing the hero now?" I say, teasing him. He looks at me and smiles. "I guess I'm not afraid anymore." I smile proudly, as we enter Defense Against Dark Arts. I sit down next to Hermione. Professor Mad-Eye Moody strolls into the class. "You can put away those books.. You won't be needing them in my class," he says as he reaches the front of the class. We slowly put away our books. He gazes through the class, eyeing each of us carefully. He stops when he sees me, his artificial eye hopping up and down. Too bad I can't read his mind. He turns to a little chalkboard next to him. "Let's start with Curses. How many Unforgivable Curses are there?" He scribbles something on the board and turns to the class. Several hands rise up. "Yes," Moody says, pointing to Hermione. "There are three, sir," she responds. He nods eagerly and scribbles the number 3 on the board.

"Who can name one?" A few hands rise. "Yes, you," Moody says, pointing to Ron. "The Imperius Curse," Ron says. Moody studies him carefully. "You're Arthur Weasley's son?" Ron nods. "Ah yes, your father would know all about that curse." Moody limps over to his desk. He opens a container, holding out a big spider into his palm. He brings it closer to Ron, whose face goes pale. "Imperio!" Moody says, pointing his wand at the spider. The spider starts to swing back and forth. Moody waves his wand and the spider does a back flip. "I can have her jump out the window, drown herself, crawl down one of your throats," Moody says as he brings the spider back into his palm. "Years ago, witches and wizards claimed to be under the control of the Imperius Curse when they worked for You-Know-Who.. It's possible to fight the Imperius Curse and I will be teaching you that in our classes. However, not everyone will be able to master it.. Another curse?"

Hands rise up again. "Yes, you. What's your name?" Moody asks. "Neville Longbottom, sir." "Okay, Mr. Longbottom. Give me a curse." "Er- the Cruciatus Curse," Neville says, nervously. "Ah yes, particularly nasty one. The torture curse." Moody places the spider on his desk. I wince, remembering my experience with it. Nasty, indeed. I watch Moody as he goes to the front of the class. "Crucio!" He says, pointing his wand at the spider. The spider squeals in pain. I shift uncomfortably in my seat. The squeals fill the silent room. "Stop it! Stop it!" Hermione cries next to me. Moody immediately stops. Hermione glances over at Neville who's in front of us, covering his ears in pain. Moody clears his throat. He lifts up the spider, bringing it over to our table. "Maybe you can give us the last curse?" He asks Hermione. Hermione shakes her head, unable to bring herself to say it.