XIV. The Last Ingredient

...
'We stick together and we see it through.
Cause you've got a friend in me.'

...

    "Mr. Weasley, care to explain why your potion is turning red?" Uncle Severus asks, as he hovers behind Ron. I look up from my textbook over to Ron. "Err, I was hoping you could tell me-" "Did you not follow the instructions?" Uncle Severus scolds, as he examines Ron's ingredients. "I did! I-" Uncle Severus picks up a bowl of dragon clips. "Dragon clips? Weasley, there was no --" He stops as Ron's potion begins to bubble up. "Down!" Uncle Severus shouts. Ron stares at the potion. Uncle Severus pulls Ron under the table, as the rest of us at the table duck down too. We hear Ron's potion explode. We slowly get up from under the table. The potion is all over the table and on the floor. Uncle Severus sighs. "Weasley, clean this mess up." He walks to the front of the class. 

Ron sighs. I hear a few laughs. Ron looks over at me. "Which one did it?" He asks, knowing I know he didn't mistake the ingredients. I turn around looking carefully. My eye catches Blaise's and he winks. I turn back to Ron. "Blaise. He switched your lizard clips with dragon clips while you were getting your ingredients," I say, reading Blaise's mind. Ron give Blaise a nasty look. "We should tell Snape," Harry whispers. Ron shakes his point. "As if he would believe me. He'd probably just give me detention for putting the blame on someone else," Ron says, rolling his eyes. I remain silent. I would offer to tell Uncle Severus, but he probably won't even give me the chance to talk to him. Ron starts cleaning up the mess on the table. "Don't forget your paper is due next week," Uncle Severus reminds the class. He sits down at his desk, as everyone begins to pack up. 

From the corner of my eye, I see Draco leaving class. This is my time to ask him about the dance! I get up, but quickly stop as I turn back to Ron. "Would you like some help?" I ask Ron who's scrubbing the table. He looks at me hopefully. I smile as I take out my wand. "Scourgify!" Instantly, the table and floors are clean. Ron smiles brightly at me. "Miss Grindelwald!" Uncle Severus scolds me, getting up from his chair. I smile innocently. "Thank you for a wonderful class today, Professor!" Ron says as he runs, pulling me out of the class with him before Uncle Severus could give us detention. Harry quickly joins us. "Thanks, Ellie," Ron says. I nod, smiling. I see Draco standing with his friends. "Uh, I'll catch up with you guys later. There's something I have to do," I tell them, keeping my eyes fixed on Draco. They nod, watching me. I make my way over to Draco and his friends. 

"I swear it was-" Blaise stops talking as I approach them. "Hi," I say to Draco. Draco smiles brightly. "Hey," he says, happy to see me. Oh that's a good sign. "Ugh, what are you doing here?" Pansy asks, not wanting me there. "I'm here to talk to Draco," I inform her. She crosses her arms. "Why? Why do you insist on bothering my Drakey?" I laugh. "He's not yours," I tell her. "Then why is it that we're going to the Yule Ball together!" I stare at her. She's lying. Draco's smile quickly drops. "Pansy, bloody hell! No we're not," he tells her. She turns to Draco. "She doesn't need to know that," Pansy whispers to him. Draco shakes his head. "Yes, she does.. That's enough, okay, Pansy. I don't like you speaking to my girlfriend like that," Draco states. Pansy drops her mouth in shock. "G-g-girlfriend?" She asks, her voice cracking. Pansy is the only one in the friend group he hasn't told, because he knows she likes him.. 

Draco nods, pulling me to his side. "Yes, and I will be going to the Yule Ball with my girlfriend," he states. I blush. He hasn't even asked me yet. Pansy scoffs and storms off. Blaise, Crabbe and Goyle stand awkwardly as they watch her leave. Draco turns to me. "Is she going to be okay?" I ask him, before he can speak. Draco nods. "She'll get over it.. Listen, I'm sorry I didn't ask you sooner. I just wanted to plan something romantic, but I'm not that romantic and my friends are not helpful at all." I laugh. "I think I'm pretty romantic," Blaise says, fixing his tie. "Leave, Blaise," Draco demands, keeping his eyes fixed on me. I watch as Blaise leads the other two boys away with him. Draco takes my hands into his. "So, what do you say? Would you like to dance the night away at the Yule Ball with me?" I look into his eyes which are beaming with hope. I smile and nod. Draco places a kiss on my hand. "I promise, it'll be amazing."