VI. No Control

...
'I know I'll be alright, but I'm not tonight.'
...

      The sun shines brightly down on us. I sit in the quad with Alexander and Leo, trying to do my homework. "Keep walking, will you?" Alexander shoots at some students staring nearby. "Let them be, Alexander," I say quietly. He glares at them and they quickly walk away. "I didn't think they all would be such heartless pricks," Leo mutters, looking around. I sigh. "Just ignore them. That's what I'm doing," I say, reading my book. "Are you sure you're alright?" Leo asks, concerned. "It doesn't bother me," I lie, not meeting his eyes. A silence lingers. "You weren't at dinner last night," Alexander states. "Oh yeah," Leo says, smiling brightly. I step on his foot. "Ow!" He whispers. Alexander eyes us. "What?" "Nothing," I lie, not looking at him. 

Alexander crosses his arms. "So we're keeping secrets now?" I roll my eyes. "You're so dramatic, Alexander," I state. Leo laughs. Alexander leans forward. "Okay, so I am.. Why can't you tell me where you were last night?" He stares at me, refusing to break eye contact. "I never said I couldn't tell you," I say, slowly. I sigh. "I was with Draco," I blurt out. Alexander raises an eyebrow. "Draco? As in Draco Malfoy?" "No as in Draco Vixen. Yes, Draco Malfoy." "Oh, speak of the devil," Leo says, smiling ahead. Alexander and I look ahead. Draco, Crabbe and Goyle are walking this way. "Hey, Ellie," Draco says, smiling brightly. I smile sheepishly, my cheeks turning red as I wave to him. Draco waves to Alexander and Leo and then walks off with his boys. I touch my cheeks, smiling. All he said was 'hi'. Why are you blushing over it? 

Leo giggles next to me. "Oh hell no," Alexander states, looking from Draco to me. He thinks I like Draco. "Don't tell me you like him?" "Oh, they're way past that," Leo says, laughing. Alexander's eyes widen. I step on Leo's foot again. "Ow!" I turn to Alexander. "Um, the thing is.. Draco and I like each other.. and we thought we should try being with each other," I say, slowly. Alexander doesn't say a word. "Draco?! Draco of all people!" "Alexander," I say, hearing his thoughts. Alexander shakes his head. "Sorry, it's just hard to believe.. I mean his father hates you," Alexander states. "Yes, but we're not our parents," I remind him. He nods, thinking. "But what if he hurts you?.. What if he's just following his father's orders?" An uneasy look appears on Alexander's face. "Alexander, I can see his thoughts. Trust me, his feelings are pure and real," I say, answering the questions that he's thinking. 

Alexander nods, slowly. Leo places his hand on Alexander's shoulder. "If she trusts him, then we don't have to worry." Alexander looks up at me. "As long as you're happy, biscuit." I nod, a smile appearing on my face. "I am," I tell him. He smiles softly and nods. "Well, I should get going. I need to study for the O.W.L.s exam," he says, packing up his belongings. We nod and wave bye to him. I turn back to my homework. "Just look at her sitting there with no care in the world." I slowly look up and see that the students are watching us again. Leo notices as well. "It seems like they were too scared to say anything when Alexander was here," Leo states, looking at them. "We don't want you here!" A student yells. I fiddle with my fingers, uncomfortably. "Come on, Ellie. Let's just go," Leo says, grabbing his belongings along with me. I slowly get up, following him. 

"You better watch your back, Leo. She won't be afraid to go against you," another student shouts as we walk out of the quad. Leo whips his head around. "I know how to choose my friends wisely. Maybe you should just focus on--" "Leo," I say, grabbing his wrist. "What? They're the only ones who can say rude stuff?" Leo spits, angrily. "Just let it go," I whisper, pulling him down the corridor. "You know, for being a Grindelwald, you're quite disappointing," a student says laughing. "Right. They made her seem like she was some powerful witch," another student adds, crossing his arms in disbelief. Leo breaks his wrist free from my grip. "You know what's disappointing? You are," Leo declares, storming up to the two Ravenclaw students. "You're the disappointing ones with your stupid remarks and taunting attitude, you selfish bast--" "Leo!" I say running after him.