VII. The Goblet Of Fire

We sit quietly by the lake. "So you did try to hurt Pansy?" Allison asks, sitting on a rock. I shake my head, turning to face her. "It wasn't on purpose. I just got so angry.. I didn't even notice the floating tables and desks until she pointed them out," I say, thinking back to what happened yesterday. "Pansy has everyone convinced that you tried to kill her," Nathan says. I glance over at him sitting against a tree. "I expected that," I reply. Leo sighs kicking a rock into the lake. "I thought things would get better by now," I state, staring at the ground. "Well, the Goblet of Fire ceremony is on Friday. I'm sure that will take the attention off you," Alexander says from behind me. "The Goblet of Fire ceremony? Oh right. I've been so consumed with everything that's happening with me, I totally forgot about the Triwizard Tournament," I tell them. 

Nathan clasps his hands together. "Of course. That's the perfect distraction! Everyone is going to be so focused on the competition, they'll get over you being a Grindelwald!" He states. "Unless she gets pulled into the competition," Leo says, jokingly. Alexander shoots him a look. "I'm joking. She can't compete. There's an age restriction," Leo says. I sigh. "I really hope this competition makes things easier for me." "Biscuit, stop stressing yourself out. Things will be back to normal soon," Alexander says, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. I nod. He's not so sure himself.  "I hope that's true," I whisper. "Come on, Ellie. You've gotten this far. A few more days won't hurt," Nathan states. I stare blankly ahead. A few more days.. "I don't know how much longer of this I can take," I choke out. 

"What are you talking about, El?" Leo asks, concerned. "It's hard.. it's so hard," I say, feeling a rush of emotion going through me. "Everyone says to ignore the whispers and the stares.. That the world will forget it soon and everything will be back to normal.. But no one understands how much it-t hurts." A silence lingers. "Don't be so dramatic, Ellie. We all get bullied sometimes," Allison states, shrugging it off. I turn to her, my eyes filling with water. "You're right," I say, giving her a weak smile. "But most people don't have the ability to hear thoughts.. The whispers I can handle, but hearing their thoughts, feeling their emotions... You know the phrase 'I feel like the whole world's against me'? That's what I'm going through. Everyone I walk by fears me, hates me or doesn't want me here. There are even teachers who don't know if they can trust me.. It's so overwhelming, knowing exactly how everyone around you feels and thinks. I sometimes-.." My voice trails off, as I bit the side of my lip. "I sometimes wish I wasn't born." 

A firm hand grabs my wrist, turning me around. "What the hell, Ellie! Don't say shit like that," Alexander scolds me. No one else moves. "You always seemed so strong.. I didn't know you were hurting this much," Leo says softly from behind me. Alexander keeps his grip on me. His eyes soften as they meet mine. "This isn't your fault. None of this is your fault.. Why are you so hard on yourself?" I place my hand on his shoulder, squeezing it softly. "It's okay.. At least I have you guys," I state. Leo wraps his arms around me from behind. "Always," he confirms. Alexander slowly lets go of my wrist, as Leo lets go and Nathan comes to hug me. We let go as the group turns to Allison. She looks uncomfortably at us. "Why are you even here? I thought you were against her when you found out the truth?" Nathan asks, crossing his arms. 

"Let's just say, I like to be on the winning side," Allison states, with a huff. I turn to her, a smirk on my face. "And?" I say, reading her mind. She looks away from me. "You already know.. why do I have to say it?" "Say what?" Alexander asks, confused. "Hearing it out loud would make me feel better," I say, trying to guilt trip her. She rolls her eyes. The boys turn to Allison, waiting eagerly to hear. "Alright.. I decided to stay because I realized I can trust you.. and that you're a good person," she mumbles. I smile, pulling her into a hug. She quickly fights her way out of the hug. "No hugs," she firmly says, holding up her hands in defense. The boys laugh. Allison clears her throat. "Enough of this emotional stuff. Don't you all have class soon?" We nod, slowly making our way back up to the castle.