VIII. Potter Stinks

The common room fills with chatter. Ron, Hermione and I sit quietly in the corner, not saying a word. "I can't believe he didn't tell me.. I'm his best friend after all." I look over at Ron, who has his arms crossed, staring blankly at the floor. "We need to find out who put his name into the cup.. Whoever did this, didn't do it to help Harry," I state. Hermione turns to me. "You mean whoever put his name in did it to hurt him?" Hermione asks, bewildered. I nod. Hermione believes that Harry didn't put his name in. I turn to Ron, who doesn't look at me. He's jealous. "Ron," I begin, but get cut off by a cheer. "Harry!" Harry enters the common room welcomed by a crowd of students asking him questions. Ron gets up from his seat and disappears up to the dormitory. I turn to Hermione. "He just needs some time," she says softly. Harry quickly makes his way through the crowd and up to his dormitory.

"Wicked.. I wonder how he did it," Seamus says to Dean. I turn around to them. "He didn't put his name in," I state firmly. "Right, the parchment flew into the Goblet of Fire itself," Seamus announces. "Someone else put in his name," I say, ignoring his sarcastic remark. "Yes, because he asked someone to!" "That's not true!" Seamus looks at me carefully. "I'm sorry Ellie, but you're not a reliable source." I stare blankly at him. You're not a reliable source. I feel an ache in my chest. "W-what makes you say that..?" I say softly. I already know the answer. "Like you don't know," Seamus huffs. Dean places a hand up, telling Seamus to stop. Seamus sighs. "I hope one day I can trust you again," he says and walks off. Dean gives me an apologetic smile and follows Seamus.

"Boys, they can be such a pain, eh?" I jump as George and Fred appear on both sides of me. "Don't sneak up on me like that," I say, scolding them softly. Fred and George laugh. "Sorry Ellie bear," Fred says softly. George puts his arm around my shoulder. "How are you feeling?" "I'm fine. I'm just worried about Harry," I tell them. "He's so lucky," Fred beams. I huff. "No he's not." Poor Harry never gets a break. George clears his throat. "I'm sure you already know what I'm going to say," he says, smiling. They want to give me something? "You know it's not that fun when you announce it like that," I tell him. I look at their empty hands. "So where is this gift you have for me?" I ask smiling.  

Fred takes my hand, sliding a thick clear ring onto my middle finger. "We made it ourselves," George says, staring at the ring on my finger. Fred holds the tips of my fingers in his palm. "It changes color when one of us is danger, letting the others know," Fred explains. I stare at the white ring. "Wow, that's brilliant," I say in awe. The twins nod. "It's not going to blow my finger off right?" I joke. They laugh shaking their heads. "You know we wouldn't do that to you," George says. Fred puts down the rest of my fingers, holding up my middle finger. "Now you can flip people off in fashion," he says brightly. I laugh, shaking my head. I look down at the ring and then the twins. "You lads are great." "We know," the twins say in unison. George leans forward hugging me. Fred joins in too. "You're important to us, Ellie. I hope you know that," George whispers. I nod. "I love you both," I say softly.

      The next day, chatter fills in the Great Hall about the four champions. Ron stuffs his mouth quickly. "Ron, you're going to choke," Hermione tells him worried. Ron slurps down his juice as he looks around. "Relax, Ronald. Harry isn't going to appear out of thin air," I say, reading his mind. He's trying to leave the Great Hall before Harry comes. Ron ignores my comment, taking another bite of his breakfast. He quickly gets up, still chewing his food. "I'll see you in c-class," Ron says with his mouth full. He scurries out the Great Hall. Hermione sighs. "What are we going to do about those two?" She asks. I watch as Ron disappears out of the Great Hall.

I turn to Hermione. "We have to let them resolve it themselves.. Although I feel like that will take ages since they're both so stubborn.. So, we'll have to push them," I tell her. Hermione thinks for a moment and nods. "Okay, but I'm taking Harry. At least I can talk some sense into him.. Ron and I would just fight," Hermione states. I nod. "Alright, I'll take Ron then," I say, grabbing my belongings. "Let's hope this works," Hermione says. I nod hopefully. I walk out of the Great Hall scanning for Ron. I hear a chitter to my left. I look over and see Finn. "Hey buddy," I say, petting him. He jumps onto my shoulder. "Have you by any chance seen Ron?" I ask. He points down the hall. I look down the hall and see Ron standing alone.