XVIII. The Second Task

The castle is excited for the Second Task which is taking place tomorrow. I sit in the quiet library by myself. Since we had turned in our Charms Project earlier today, there was no work for us to do. Yet, I sit in the library. I need a quiet place to think. I stare at the textbook. The conversation I had with my mother replays in my head. I still don't know how to stop Nott or how to stop myself from falling under his control. I sigh. It must be a hard spell.. He's been working on it for months and he still hasn't figured it out. A chair pulls up besides me. I look up and see a weary Nathan. "Hi," he greets me, sitting down. "You look sick. Are you alright?" I ask him. He nods. "Just the aftermath of the potion." I study him. "Why don't you tell her what's on your mind?" "There's nothing on my mind." "Don't lie to yourself! You know you're going crazy!" "I'm not going crazy." 

I stare at Nathan, worried. There's another voice in his head. "Nathan?" I call him. He sighs, not making eye contact with me. "I-it's fine.. The voice belongs to me.. It's an evil corrupted conscious. I think there's a bit of Dark Magic in me from the potion.. but it'll wear off." "So you're hearing another voice?" I ask him. Hearing voices is never a good sign. "It's alright. I can handle it," Nathan says. "I'm so sorry, Nathan. I shouldn't have let you--" "Ellie, I did this knowing the consequences. It's not your fault, okay," Nathan says finally looking up at me. Nathan groans as he holds his head. "What is it?" I ask worried. He shakes his head. "Just a headache. Get a few of those a day. I think I'm going to head to my dorm. Sleeping usually is the only way to get rid of it." I nod, waving bye to him as he leaves. 

I sigh, closing my textbook and packing up my things. It's all my fault. I shouldn't have let my friends help me.. Oh gosh, I really hope Nathan is okay. I take my stuff and turn to go when I see Ron and Hermione leaving the library with Professor Moody. Hmm? Where's Harry? I turn down the hall they came from, walking through the book sections to see if Harry is still here. I stop as I see Harry chatting with Neville. "I don't know about a turnip, but you can always use gillyweed," Neville says to Harry. "Gillyweed? Who's going under water?" I ask as I approach them. Neville smiles at me. "The Second Task is going to underwater. I'm going to have to hold my breath for a hour," Harry informs me. Ah so you finally found out what the Second Task is. "Gillyweed can help with that?" Harry asks us. We nod. 

"It can! It'll give you fish like characteristics and webbed-fingers and feet which will help you survive underwater," Neville beams. "Brilliant! Now where do I get some?" Harry asks. Neville's smile fades as he furrows his brows to think. "Dunno, but I can probably ask Professor Moody for you! He is the one who gave me the book where I read about the gillyweed." A book? "It's quite ironic actually. He gives me the book and now you need it for the task!" Neville beams. Ironic? More like suspicious... He must be trying to help Harry win. "Ah, no need to ask Professor Moody. I can get you the gillyweed," I tell Harry. "How?" Neville asks. "Un- Professor Snape has a stock. I can have Finn snatch one or two and bring it to you, Harry," I say. "Brilliant," Harry replies. "Great! Let me go tell Finn. I'll see you guys tomorrow. Good luck, Harry!" I say and exist the library. 

~•~

     The castle heads down to the Black Lake. "Bet! Bets! Place your bets!" Fred and George shout. "Three lads. One lady! Four will go down, but will four come up?" "Oy, don't be so mean," Ginny scolds them as she walks by. The twins shrug it off and continue to get bets. I glance around area. Where are Ron and Hermione? They would be here to support Harry. I frown as I walk over to the dock. Harry greets me in his swimwear, ready to do the task. "Never felt so confident," he says. He looks behind me. "Ron and Hermione aren't with you?" I shake my head. "No, I haven't seen them all day to be honest. In fact, Hermione wasn't in the room when I woke up," I tell him. Harry and I look around.