chap15(how love is controlling)

Days passed, with her smiling at times and frowning at others, as if she forgets then remembers. Or maybe it is just me being overly sensitive and over-reading it. Her appetite was fine, something to celebrate as it meant her not being stressed. She ate fine, played fine, and talked fine. But I still felt uneasy and worried. As I said, it could be just me and my overthinking.

"Lilly is coming home today, Jasmine. Would you like to wait for her and accompany her for the day? She will go shopping for her friend's wedding" her mother informed her, as she was about to walk into our room to change and accompany me to work.

"Okay!" she agreed, faster than I expected... 

I guess I am being overly sensitive.

As she ran to our room to change, some strange feeling downed on me. I turned to her mother and found her studying my face. "Is everything all right?" she asked. If it was another man and his mother-in-law, the obvious answer would be "Yes! Absolutely!" but this was me and her mom; we were more of a son and mother than simple in-laws, and so my answer was "I was fine, but some heavy feeling came out of nowhere."

"What feeling?" she got closer and got a hold of my hand. 

"I don't know" I shook my head, generating a heavy sigh right after, resulting in a slouching back and a heavy heart.

"Toby, my dear, are you worried about Jasmine?"

"I always am" I spat without thinking. And before I know it, I felt her grasp on my hand loosen. I looked at her and noticed the expression on her face "No, I didn't mean it that way. Don't you even think like that!" I was the one to grasp both of her hands this time and look her straight in the eyes to reassure her "I love your daughter, and I care for her so much. I understand her, and the state that she is in and I accept it all. I'm not worried because of her mental health, I am worried because I love her... I just want her around me all the time so I can make sure that no one hurts her."

"You-" she started but halted to study my words before she frowned and continued "You still feel guilty because of what that woman did?" she asked, trying to meet my eyes when her question made sure that mine avoid hers. "Toby".

I found the ground with my eyes before I answered her "I shouldn't have left her alone. With Maria around or not, I shouldn't have left her alone"

"Toby, dear, she-" before she finished her sentence, our dear oblivious girl showed up; flinging the door of our room and jumping out like a hero, but instead of a cape and a hero outfit, she was in a gorgeous floral dress.

With what heavenly power am I letting you go alone with your sister, looking like that?!

Probably the power of that deep wide smile you have, I will cave in like I always do...

They had their daughter-mother moment with her twirling to show her mom the dress and her mom complimenting her looks, deepening her smile as a result, if that was even possible.

And all I could do at that moment was realize that my heart lightened and that gloomy cloud that was over my head vanished, since the moment she appeared from behind that door.

It is utterly astonishing and terrifying how love is controlling. One look at her, her smiling face, her shining eyes, her uncanny beauty_just one look_ and a fresh breath of life came into my lungs to revive me. Yet that beauty in front of me was oblivious to what she was capable of, oblivious of what she made me feel and how she got me and my entire being wrapped around her pinky.