A Snake and a Lion

Euphemia had successfully created a name for herself. After years of breaking away from her family—whose only wish was for her to get married—she finally established herself as a hard worker, kind person, and even better healer.

St. Mungo's was more than happy to have her there. She had mixed her own healing experiments with things she had learned in school, becoming even better at her job because of this.

As she gained connections, Euphemia met people who were bound to only ever be acquaintances, but there was one person she could count on to always be there for her.

Matilda Abbot had curly blonde hair, which was almost always pulled up, out of her face, and other kind features. She had a small, button nose, a blush that never left her cheeks, and light brown eyes.

The two had met when Matilda had received a concussion while on an auror mission. The injury was minor, but the two women had bonded while Matilda was in the hospital and they had remained in contact.

Matilda rushed into Euphemia's office, running into no one that late on a Friday night in St. Mungo's. Her friend had just finished several rounds of checking on different patients, making sure they were comfortable for the night, before allowing the night shift nurses to take over. The bottom line was, Matilda knew Euphemia was tired, but she was determined to go with her to an auror party that she had been invited to earlier.

"Hey, Tillie," Euphemia greeted as she gathered her papers into her bag. "What're you doing here?"

Matilda sat on the corner of Euphemia's cluttered desk. There were multiple pictures of the two of them together, framed, some moving and others muggle. A few cups of quills situated themselves by some bottles of ink, and, of course, there were different medical documents everywhere.

"You really should tidy up this place," Matilda said, ignoring the question. "There's stuff everywhere."

"Was there something you needed?" Euphemia asked, her temper short as it had been a long day.

"I wanted to see if you'd go with me to this party-"

"No," Mia said flatly.

"C'mon! Eli is going to be there and he really wanted me to go!" Matilda replied, trying to appeal her case.

"Then, you can go," Euphemia shrugged as she put her bag over her shoulder.

"I can't go without you!" Matilda kept speaking as they exited the office and made their way into the elevator.

Euphemia sighed and looked her straight into the eyes.

"You really want me to go?" Euphemia quirked an eyebrow. "Last time I went you said I was a spoil sport."

"This time will be different, I can feel it!" Tillie responded enthusiastically.

"Fine," Mia caved in far too easily.

Stepping out of the elevator and of St. Mungo's, they decided their first stop should be Tillie's home where they would go after the party. Euphemia dropped her bag there and changed out of her work robes into something more suitable for the evening. Tillie beamed as they apparated to the party.

The house in front of them was not something Euphemia would call modest. The grounds stretched on for a while, and the house had multiple floors. Yet, Mia did admire the well-kept gardens as best as she possibly could in the dark.

"I thought it was going to be small," Euphemia remarked as they walked into the home.

"Well, I said nothing of the sort," Matilda smiled cheekily as they walked into a room with music playing in the background.