Sunrises Versus Sunsets

Modern Jily AU

...

Lily hated her English professor. He was always going off-topic and she felt that she never learned anything. Acing every assignment that was given to her was satisfying, but the class was just not challenging enough.

James loved his English Professor. He often influenced the off-topic conversations and asked many nonsense questions. With any other professor, this would have gotten him kicked out of the class, but not with Professor Witman.

Today, James did just that and influenced another off-topic conversation. Of course, this irritated Lily to no limits, but she decided she would participate in this particular conversation.

Professor Witman wrote, What do you like better, sunrises or sunsets? Explain why. Which was definitely not the lesson about proper grammar they were working on earlier.

Lily pondered this for a moment. Sunrises or sunsets? Sunrises felt full of possibility, the beginning of a new day, with many things yet to come. Although, sunsets felt full of promise, full of hope that a better day was coming.

Impulsively, James' hand shot up without thinking. His brain usually didn't have control over his movements, whether that be in class or outside of it. So, the professor was not surprised to see him eager to engage in the conversation.

"Yes, Mr. Potter?"

"I prefer sunrises since they symbolize the possibility of having another productive day."

The professor placed a tally mark under sunrise just as Lily raised her hand.

"Well, I prefer sunsets since they show that the end of another productive day has come."

James smirked in Lily's direction, who narrowed her eyes back.

"This is now open for discussion," Witman said, knowing full well the class was just going to let the two argue for the rest of the period.

"Sunrises are generally more pretty than sunsets-" James was cut off by Lily.

"You're using opinions to back up your response, tsk tsk."

This time it was James narrowing his eyes and Lily smirking. Their relationship was full of arguments like these, Sirius sometimes said it was in every one of their interactions.

"This entire discussion is based on opinions!"

...

Lily thought about the conversation throughout the rest of the day. While she happened to be walking to her next class, pining over the thought of being James' girlfriend, Sirius practically tackled her.

"God Sirius! Even though you're short for a guy, I'm short for a girl, so you can't go tackling me over without some warning!"

She brushed off the front of her shirt and pushed her single French braid back over her shoulder.

"Moony doesn't mind," he replied as they walked down the sidewalk.

"Did not need to know that. What did you almost break my leg over?" Lily deadpanned, Sirius rolled his eyes.

"Stop with the melodrama-"

"Hypocrite," Sirius again rolled his eyes at her.

"As I was saying, the annual Marauder ice cream night is tonight and you're invited."

Lily grinned at the thought of hanging out with her three favorite boys. Their energy was so carefree, it made her forget about upcoming tests, assignments, and essays, about how her sister wanted her to be a housewife, and about how her mother had recently fallen ill.