Unlikely Pairs

Jily
Wolfstar
Hinny

Some said that James and Lily weren't made for each other. That James was far too loud and Lily was far too stuck-up. That the two were complete opposites.

Some said that Remus and Sirius weren't made for each other. That Sirius was too much of a rule-breaker and that Remus read books too often. That the two were too different and had nothing in common.

People didn't understand why Remus and Lily weren't together. They read the same books and could hold debates about them for hours. Remus looked like the type of guy Lily should be with. The way he participated in class, the way he wore his sweaters and the way he gave out chocolate to first-years should be perfect for a girl like Lily. A girl who spent her entire education trying to get the spot of Headgirl. A girl who had a total of three detentions. A girl seen with tea and books half the time she wasn't in class.

But Minerva McGonagall was not stupid. She saw the glances in each other's direction. She saw the handholding and discreet kisses. She was smart enough to know and understand why people thought Remus and Lily would be a good couple, but she respectfully disagreed. She would tell them no Remus and Lily are just too similar.

The two couples balanced each other. James made sure that Lily would never miss a meal. Sirius made sure that Remus had a full stock of pain potion when the full moon was approaching. Lily made sure James nursed every Quidditch injury. Remus made sure Sirius had enough time for homework and pranks.

Minerva also knew it was not a coincidence that James Potter missed Transfiguration the same time Lily Evans missed Charms. Half the time Lily could be seen with tea and books that much was true, but the other half she was seen with James. Lily was seen covering her mouth so that the professor couldn't see her laughter. She was seen blushing after James threw a note across the room to her. If you looked closely you could see a couple made for each other.

Minerva watched Sirius and Remus's relationship grow. The amount of love the two had for each other but didn't realize, at first, was frustrating. Some times she would just laugh at the two pathetic boys. She would watch them as they grew the courage to hold hands.

After a particularly hard full moon Minerva stumbled into the hospital wing. She saw four Gryffindors crowded around a hospital bed. Peter leaning up against the wall with his arm in a sling. James sitting in a chair at Remus's feet with scratches lining his face. Lily sat next to him with her head on his shoulder, softly murmuring words in his ear. Sirius looked the saddest of all. He sat at Remus's side with his hand in the fragile boy's hand. He slowly rubbed his thumb on the back of Remus's hand with tears in his eyes. Minerva slowly approached the five of them, not wanting to startle them.

"Poppy said he'd be up in time for dinner." Her quiet approach soothed the hurting teenagers, but not enough to shake them from their trance. "He's tough, I'm sure Mr. Lupin will recover quickly." Sirius looked up at his professor and smiled sadly.

"Thanks, Minnie." His gaze didn't leave his professor as he said, "I reckon the people who say you hate us are wrong. I know we wormed a special place in your heart." Lily laughed quietly and placed her hand on his shoulder. Before Minerva exited the hospital wing she responded in a light-hearted tone.

"A very special place indeed."

If people saw those two couples in the hospital wing they wouldn't doubt their compatibility. They wouldn't ask Lily why she wasn't with Remus. They wouldn't tell James that they could make him happier than he was with Lily. They wouldn't question why bad boy Sirius Black was with such a softie like Remus Lupin. Instead, they would appreciate how much the couples loved each other because although they fought and disagreed at times you couldn't deny how much they loved each other.

...

Where was Harry Potter and why isn't he in my class? Being the Chosen One might've been a hard job to have, but Harry never missed a class. Minerva continued teaching her Transfiguration class still deep in thought.

Later during lunch at the table where she sat next to her fellow staff members, it all made sense. "Ginny Weasley has missed many Charms classes recently. This is the second detention I've had to give her." Just as Minerva expected she saw Ginny with her head resting on Harry's shoulder while he was talking to Ron and Hermione about something.

If walls could talk they would recount how the same thing had happened roughly twenty years earlier. They would tell you the story of how two unlikely pairs of people defied all odds and made each other happy.

Oh, Minerva McGonagall was not stupid. The twinkle in Ginny's eyes was the same that a redhead had given a dark-haired boy in the past. She smiled into her plate when she thought of those young teenagers who had wormed a special place in her heart.

...

Author's Note:

This chapter doesn't even make it to one thousand words and is rather small, but I like the concept of it. How was the first chapter of this one-shot book? I am a newer author so any constructive criticism would help a lot.

-teddy